Clinical and Research Internships & Externships
Clinical and research internship and externship opportunities are available for students seeking to fulfill graduation, licensure, and certification requirements. Applicants must be formally matriculated students at an affiliated school/college/university with which an affiliation agreement has been established before placement occurs. Student interns and externs, once assigned to a sponsoring PSHMC/COM employee, will remain under the supervision of the sponsoring employee or designee at all times. Click here for a list of opportunities. (Physician and medical student graduate requests are excluded.)
How to Apply
- Contact the appropriate department coordinator where you are seeking an internship. (See list of department coordinators). Please be as specific as possible regarding your preferred dates and times; preferred faculty and staff you would like to serve as your preceptor.
- Complete the required paperwork listed below. (Click to download forms)
- Application for Observation, Career Shadowing or Internship (make sure all signatures have been acquired)
- Application for Visiting Students in Laboratories (required for laboratory settings only)
- Infectious Disease Summary (must be signed by Physician or School Nurse)
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Code of Conduct & Dress
- Waiver Liability Form
- Student Evaluation
- Students over the age of 18 participating in internships for more than five days in pediatric inpatient or outpatient clinics must obtain the following background checks (click link for more information) at no cost to Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center:
- The Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Records Check (PATCH)
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- Federal Criminal Records Check (FBI fingerprinting required)
Check to make sure your application and accompanying forms have been properly completed. Application and all accompanying forms should be faxed, mailed, or emailed together to the department coordinator. Approval for internships may take 8 to 10 weeks. You may check with the department coordinator on the status of your request.
Once all approvals for your application have been granted, the department coordinator will contact you to inform you of your start date and instruct you where to report.
Complete the evaluation provided following your internship experience.
Please type or write legibly on all forms. Be sure to make a copy for all your records.