Anesthesia - International Outreach Overview
We proudly support our colleagues in their goals for providing acute care for patients in under-resourced areas globally, as well as teaching, thus building long term relationships and solutions with local people.
Operation Smile - site changes. November of 2014, Vietnam
- Medical mission
- Pediatric anesthesia fellow Dr. Mohammad Zalzala, Drs. Patrick McQuillan, Padmani Dhar, and Katie Donahue.
- Pediatric cleft lips and palates.
- Teams of in-country, regional, and international credentialed volunteers work together with interpreters.
Hearts of Ecuador - November of 2014, Ecuador
- Medical mission
- Chief Residents, under supervision by Dr. Jansie Prozesky and Dr. Carolyn Barbieri.
- Anesthesia for pediatric cardiothoracic surgical cases.
- Teams from Penn State, including the pediatric residents and cardiology fellows, as well as PICU nurses. The cases are primary repairs such as ASds, VSDs.
ASA - Global Health Outreach (GHO) - September, January, and/or March, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
- International Anesthesia Rotation
- Drs. Manish Shah and Sally Baker in 2 separate one month rotations at the CURE Hospital in Addis Ababa under direct supervision of the American Anesthesia Program Director.
- Pediatric orthopedic patients in the operating room, active involvement in the ongoing outcomes research project investigating postoperative mortality, and teaching of Ethiopian anesthesia residents.
- https://www.asahq.org/GHO and http://cure.org/hospitals/ethiopia
Casa de Luz/Island Impact - May of 2015, Puerta Plata - Dominican Republic
- Medical mission.
- A PGY-4 resident under supervision by Drs. Grap and Vuong.
- Anesthesia for children and adults for ophthalmologic cases.
- Austere environment in a public hospital.
Other Anesthesia Outreach Trips
- Michelle Raymond, CRNA: Kenya relief medical mission trip: ENT cases including thyroid goiters, head/neck masses, and oral surgeries. http://www.kenyarelief.org
- The Medical Minute: Blood in the urine often an important warning sign Blood in the urine can be a scary sight, yet it’s a symptom many people ignore until it is bad enough to land them in a hospital emergency department.More...
- Penn State Health St. Joseph, Exeter Healthways to relocate and expand services Penn State Health St. Joseph will relocate the outpatient services it currently offers in Shelbourne Square, Exeter Township, and the physician and outpatient services it offers on Prospect Street in St. Lawrence into the Exeter Ridge Corporate Center at Neversink Road and Perkiomen Avenue by early 2016.More...
- Penn State Hershey Maternal Fetal Medicine moves to 35 Hope Drive Penn State Hershey Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) has joined Penn State Hershey Obstetrics and Gynecology on the second floor of 35 Hope Drive in Hershey.More...
- Next attorney office hours at Penn State Hershey scheduled for Sept. 10 Researchers are invited to attend office hours at Penn State Hershey on Thursday, Sept. 10 with Penn State’s intellectual property attorney, Michael Brignati.More...