Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine - International Outreach Overview
We proudly support our colleagues in their goals for providing acute care for patients in under-resourced areas globally, as well as teaching, thus building long term relationships and solutions with local people.
Operation Smile - site changes. November of 2014, Vietnam
- Medical mission
- Pediatric anesthesia fellow Dr. Mohammad Zalzala, Drs. Patrick McQuillan, Padmani Dhar, and Katie Donahue.
- Pediatric cleft lips and palates.
- Teams of in-country, regional, and international credentialed volunteers work together with interpreters.
Hearts of Ecuador - November of 2014, Ecuador
- Medical mission
- Chief Residents, under supervision by Dr. Jansie Prozesky and Dr. Carolyn Barbieri.
- Anesthesia for pediatric cardiothoracic surgical cases.
- Teams from Penn State, including the pediatric residents and cardiology fellows, as well as PICU nurses. The cases are primary repairs such as ASds, VSDs.
ASA - Global Health Outreach (GHO) - September, January, and/or March, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
- International Anesthesia Rotation
- Drs. Manish Shah and Sally Baker in 2 separate one month rotations at the CURE Hospital in Addis Ababa under direct supervision of the American Anesthesia Program Director.
- Pediatric orthopedic patients in the operating room, active involvement in the ongoing outcomes research project investigating postoperative mortality, and teaching of Ethiopian anesthesia residents.
- https://www.asahq.org/GHO and http://cure.org/hospitals/ethiopia
Casa de Luz/Island Impact - May of 2015, Puerta Plata - Dominican Republic
- Medical mission.
- A PGY-4 resident under supervision by Drs. Grap and Vuong.
- Anesthesia for children and adults for ophthalmologic cases.
- Austere environment in a public hospital.
Other Anesthesia Outreach Trips
- Michelle Raymond, CRNA: Kenya relief medical mission trip: ENT cases including thyroid goiters, head/neck masses, and oral surgeries. http://www.kenyarelief.org
- Espenshade wins volunteer services award Sue Espenshade, manager of volunteer services at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, has been presented with the 2016 Evelyn Burston Award.More...
- Milewicz to deliver 2016 Fall Dean's Lecture The 2016 Fall Dean’s Lecture will be held from 4 to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 5 in the Junker Auditorium on the campus of Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine.More...
- The Medical Minute: Stepping up efforts to hone in on teen depression New guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics are designed to help pediatricians identify more serious depression and suicidal tendencies so teens get the help they need to climb out of any dark holes before they get stuck.More...
- Writing a novel the focus of next Humanities First Friday Dr. John Benedict will present “Pursue your Passion and Write a Successful Novel” at the next Humanities First Friday on Oct. 7 on the campus of the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine.More...