Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine - International Outreach Overview
We proudly support our colleagues in their goals for providing acute care for patients in under-resourced areas globally, as well as teaching, thus building long term relationships and solutions with local people.
Operation Smile - site changes. November of 2014, Vietnam
- Medical mission
- Pediatric anesthesia fellow Dr. Mohammad Zalzala, Drs. Patrick McQuillan, Padmani Dhar, and Katie Donahue.
- Pediatric cleft lips and palates.
- Teams of in-country, regional, and international credentialed volunteers work together with interpreters.
Hearts of Ecuador - November of 2014, Ecuador
- Medical mission
- Chief Residents, under supervision by Dr. Jansie Prozesky and Dr. Carolyn Barbieri.
- Anesthesia for pediatric cardiothoracic surgical cases.
- Teams from Penn State, including the pediatric residents and cardiology fellows, as well as PICU nurses. The cases are primary repairs such as ASds, VSDs.
ASA - Global Health Outreach (GHO) - September, January, and/or March, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
- International Anesthesia Rotation
- Drs. Manish Shah and Sally Baker in 2 separate one month rotations at the CURE Hospital in Addis Ababa under direct supervision of the American Anesthesia Program Director.
- Pediatric orthopedic patients in the operating room, active involvement in the ongoing outcomes research project investigating postoperative mortality, and teaching of Ethiopian anesthesia residents.
- https://www.asahq.org/GHO and http://cure.org/hospitals/ethiopia
Casa de Luz/Island Impact - May of 2015, Puerta Plata - Dominican Republic
- Medical mission.
- A PGY-4 resident under supervision by Drs. Grap and Vuong.
- Anesthesia for children and adults for ophthalmologic cases.
- Austere environment in a public hospital.
Other Anesthesia Outreach Trips
- Michelle Raymond, CRNA: Kenya relief medical mission trip: ENT cases including thyroid goiters, head/neck masses, and oral surgeries. http://www.kenyarelief.org
- Valentine’s Day concert set for Feb. 14 at Pasquerilla Spiritual Center The Pennsylvania Centre Orchestra will present a special Valentine’s Day concert titled “Music for the Heart” at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 14, at the Pasquerilla Spiritual Center on Penn State’s University Park campus. Dr. Paul Haidet, director of medical education research at the Penn State College of Medicine will present a free pre-concert lecture — “The Health Benefits of Music” — one hour before the show.More...
- National Wear Red Day observed at Penn State Hershey On Friday, Feb. 5, Penn State Hershey faculty and staff donned red in recognition of National Wear Red Day.More...
- Penn State Harrisburg launches Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Penn State President Eric Barron and University officials joined with David Black, president and CEO of the Harrisburg Regional Chamber and CREDC, to launch the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Penn State Harrisburg. The center will enhance the entrepreneurial environment in Central Pennsylvania and encourage students, faculty and community members to transform their intellectual property and creative works into local businesses and industries.More...
- The Medical Minute: Understanding who’s at risk for Zika virus If you hadn’t heard of the Zika virus, chances are that has changed with recent reports of outbreaks of the mosquito-borne illness in Latin America, and possible cases in the United States — maybe even Pennsylvania.More...