Community Service Missions
- Outreach: Improve the quality of life for those in our local, regional, national, and global communities through service and volunteerism.
- Education: Provide cutting edge information to the community about health and medical issues. We strive to promote safety, healthy habits, general well-being, and preventive medicine in conjunction with our community partners.
- Partnership: Join with members of our local community to make central Pennsylvania a healthier and better place to live.
As teachers, care-givers, and researchers, service defines us. It is more than a commitment we make to our community - it is part of our nature.
Our community service activities take many forms and involve thousands of Penn State Health employees, Central Pennsylvania citizens, and partners across the globe. We provide tens of millions of dollars annually in charity work and state-of-the-art compassionate care to individuals without insurance or on Medicaid.
A few of our community efforts and initiatives are listed below – follow the links to learn more about them:
- THON – Penn State Dance Marathon fundraiser for the Four Diamonds Fund
- Lion Care – Student-run free medical clinic in Harrisburg
- LionReach – Mobile training and evaluation center
- Global Health Center
- Kiss Hershey Back – Annual Derry Township clean-up day run by medical students
- Children's Miracle Network – Children's Miracle Network's mission is to generate funds and awareness programs for Penn State Children's Hospital and the children and families it serves.
- Early Preparation and Inspiration for Careers in the Biomedical Sciences (EPIC) – This project is committed to the idea that students at the high school level need to be prepared and inspired to make informed decisions about their futures.
- Surgery Live Program – An innovative program to stimulate the interest of middle school and high school students in careers in the health care field.| Video interviews with surgery team
- Mini-Medical School – For public to learn about the medical field
- Northern Appalachia Cancer Network (video)
- PRO Wellness Center Health Champions Program – Program focused on making "healthy easy"
- Trustees approve expansion of Penn State Hershey emergency department Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center is in the early phase of a plan to expand and renovate its Emergency Department to continue to effectively meet the health care needs of its community. The Medical Center commissioned a consultant to develop a detailed expansion and renovation program and feasibility study that was completed in September 2016, and the Committee on Finance, Business and Capital Planning appointed a design-build team at the meeting of the Penn State Board of Trustees today (Feb. 24).More...
- The Medical Minute: Spotting the symptoms of an eating disorder Millions of people across the United States struggle with eating disorders. With so much public discussion about obesity and healthy eating, conversations about weight and BMI — or body mass index — can actually make the problem worse.More...
- First Friday presentation to feature ‘Time to Go’ The Kienle Center Players Drama Group will present a staged reading of the play “Time to Go” by C. E. McClelland at the next First Friday presentation, hosted by the Department of Humanities at Penn State College of Medicine.More...
- Jeffrey Peters appointed deputy director of Penn State Cancer Institute Penn State Cancer Institute has appointed Jeffrey M. Peters, distinguished professor of molecular toxicology and carcinogenesis in the College of Agricultural Sciences and the Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences at Penn State, as its new deputy director, following a national search. As deputy director, Peters will catalyze collaborations among cancer researchers across Penn State’s colleges and campuses and help lead the Cancer Institute’s application for National Cancer Institute designation in 2018.More...