Community Service Missions
- Outreach: Improve the quality of life for those in our local, regional, national, and global communities through service and volunteerism.
- Education: Provide cutting edge information to the community about health and medical issues. We strive to promote safety, healthy habits, general well-being, and preventive medicine in conjunction with our community partners.
- Partnership: Join with members of our local community to make central Pennsylvania a healthier and better place to live.
As teachers, care-givers, and researchers, service defines us. It is more than a commitment we make to our community - it is part of our nature.
Our community service activities take many forms and involve thousands of Penn State Health employees, Central Pennsylvania citizens, and partners across the globe. We provide tens of millions of dollars annually in charity work and state-of-the-art compassionate care to individuals without insurance or on Medicaid.
A few of our community efforts and initiatives are listed below – follow the links to learn more about them:
- THON – Penn State Dance Marathon fundraiser for the Four Diamonds Fund
- Lion Care – Student-run free medical clinic in Harrisburg
- LionReach – Mobile training and evaluation center
- Global Health Center
- Kiss Hershey Back – Annual Derry Township clean-up day run by medical students
- Children's Miracle Network – Children's Miracle Network's mission is to generate funds and awareness programs for Penn State Children's Hospital and the children and families it serves.
- Early Preparation and Inspiration for Careers in the Biomedical Sciences (EPIC) – This project is committed to the idea that students at the high school level need to be prepared and inspired to make informed decisions about their futures.
- Surgery Live Program – An innovative program to stimulate the interest of middle school and high school students in careers in the health care field.| Video interviews with surgery team
- Mini-Medical School – For public to learn about the medical field
- Northern Appalachia Cancer Network (video)
- PRO Wellness Center Health Champions Program – Program focused on making "healthy easy"
- The Medical Minute: Flat head syndrome usually not serious The good news about flat head syndrome is that it doesn’t have consequences beyond cosmetics, and it can often be improved — if it doesn’t resolve on its own.More...
- Over 45 years of research addresses the science of ‘wasting away’ What happens in the research laboratories at Penn State College of Medicine doesn’t stay in the laboratories. It reaches to outer space, as adventurers blast off in rockets. It affects American war fighters in oven-like desert heat.More...
- Summer program trains the next generation of clinical and translational research An interdisciplinary group of students—representing two campuses, three colleges, four graduate programs and medical education—began the Short-term Intensive Translational Experience (SITE) program this week.More...
- Outcomes and experience prove national caliber of pediatric heart program When Josh and Lisa Teach learned that their daughter would be born with a congenital heart defect, they knew Penn State Children's Heart Group would be the ones to repair it.More...