Community Service Missions
- Outreach: Improve the quality of life for those in our local, regional, national, and global communities through service and volunteerism.
- Education: Provide cutting edge information to the community about health and medical issues. We strive to promote safety, healthy habits, general well-being, and preventive medicine in conjunction with our community partners.
- Partnership: Join with members of our local community to make central Pennsylvania a healthier and better place to live.
As teachers, care-givers, and researchers, service defines us. It is more than a commitment we make to our community - it is part of our nature.
Our community service activities take many forms and involve thousands of Penn State Health employees, Central Pennsylvania citizens, and partners across the globe. We provide tens of millions of dollars annually in charity work and state-of-the-art compassionate care to individuals without insurance or on Medicaid.
A few of our community efforts and initiatives are listed below – follow the links to learn more about them:
- THON – Penn State Dance Marathon fundraiser for the Four Diamonds Fund
- Lion Care – Student-run free medical clinic in Harrisburg
- LionReach – Mobile training and evaluation center
- Global Health Center
- Kiss Hershey Back – Annual Derry Township clean-up day run by medical students
- Children's Miracle Network – Children's Miracle Network's mission is to generate funds and awareness programs for Penn State Children's Hospital and the children and families it serves.
- Early Preparation and Inspiration for Careers in the Biomedical Sciences (EPIC) – This project is committed to the idea that students at the high school level need to be prepared and inspired to make informed decisions about their futures.
- Surgery Live Program – An innovative program to stimulate the interest of middle school and high school students in careers in the health care field.| Video interviews with surgery team
- Mini-Medical School – For public to learn about the medical field
- Northern Appalachia Cancer Network (video)
- PRO Wellness Center Health Champions Program – Program focused on making "healthy easy"
- Summit to address health disparities in rural Appalachia On Oct. 30 and 31, the Penn State Clinical and Translational Science Institute will host in Hershey more than 100 researchers and representatives from academic institutions, health care organizations and community stakeholders for the Annual Summit of the Appalachian Translational Research Network.More...
- The Medical Minute: Blood pressure screening in children High blood pressure is often thought of as a grown-up problem, but nearly one in 30 children suffer from the condition. Unfortunately, many of those pediatric cases go undetected.More...
- A family that watches movies together, can learn together Penn State College of Medicine researchers studied the most common themes in children's movies and made recommendations for how to watch and talk about them with kids.More...
- Bruce recognized for influence on physician assistant profession Christine Bruce, program director of the Physician Assistant (PA) Program at Penn State College of Medicine, was recognized recently by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.More...