Welcome to Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute
The experts of Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute are committed to fighting cancer on every front: through education and prevention, early detection and diagnosis, effective treatment, and survivorship programs. Our facility provides patients access to all aspects of care in a single destination including:
- Infusion therapy suites and private rooms for chemotherapy
- A state-of-the-art radiation oncology suite that offers treatment options that refine tumor targeting and reduce treatment time, such as RapidArc radiotherapy
- A chemotherapy and infusion pharmacy staffed by clinical pharmacists and certified pharmacy technicians
- An outdoor healing garden that offers a quiet retreat for both patients and families
Seamlessly integrating these services creates a real-time medicine model that helps ensure each patient receives the right diagnosis and the right therapy at the right time.
Ignoring your family history isn't worth the risk
Everyone has some risk of developing breast cancer. Learning your risk early may help prevent cancer from occurring or catch it when it is most treatable. Penn State Hershey Breast Center's high-risk assessment team provides a comprehensive screening and customized care plan for your level of risk based on your personal screening. Protect your health and the health of the women in your family.
Schedule an appointment today by calling 717-531-5867. Meet the team and learn how the Breast Center can help you decrease your risk.
The staff and patients of Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute joined in the celebration of the 27th Annual National Cancer Survivors Day to recognize the importance of survivorship care while honoring more than 14,000,000 cancer survivors in the United States. Survivors volunteered their time to greet patients and celebrate them. Staff filled the walls and waiting areas with awareness ribbons, homemade treats, and lavender carnations. Patients displayed messages of hope and inspiration on the donor wall in the Cancer Institute lobby to show why surviving cancer is something to celebrate. Click here to learn more.
Liver Cancer: A Matter of Facts on abc27
Liver cancer specialists from Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute were featured on abc27's Liver Cancer: A Matter of Facts, along with survivors who shared their journey. About 75,000 men and women will face a diagnosis of liver cancer in the United States this year. When detected early, there is greater chance of successful treatment. Watch the show now to learn more about risk factors, diagnosis, the latest treatments and prevention. If you'd like to schedule an appointment, please call 717-531-8623.
Raymond J. Hohl, M.D., Ph.D., joins Cancer Institute as new director
Raymond J. Hohl, M.D., Ph.D., recently accepted an appointment as director of Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute. Hohl comes to Penn State Hershey from the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Iowa, where he held the Holden Family Chair/associate chair of the Department of Internal Medicine, as well as associate director for clinical and translational research. At Penn State, he will hold academic appointments as professor in the departments of Medicine and Pharmacology. Learn more here.
Cancer Institute Unites with Big Ten Research Consortium
The Big Ten cancer centers have united to transform the conduct of cancer research through collaborative, hypothesis-driven, highly translational oncology trials that leverage the scientific and clinical expertise of Big Ten universities. The Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium creates a unique team-research culture to drive science rapidly from ideas to treatment-changing paradigms. Within this innovative environment, today's research leaders collaborate with and mentor the research leaders of tomorrow with the unified goal of improving the lives of all patients with cancer. Watch a video here.
Look Good… Feel Better
Look Good…Feel Better helps female cancer patients improve their appearance and self-image by teaching them hands-on beauty techniques to manage the appearance of side effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. This program is available throughout the year at Penn State Hershey. dates, locations and times vary. Registration is required. View the full schedule here. To register, call 1-800-227-2345.
Free Wig Program
Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute is a proud supporter of the American Cancer Society's Free Wig Salon program located in Infusion Therapy - first floor to help patients undergoing cancer treatments and experiencing hair loss. Those who may be looking for a wig can visit the private Wig Room where a trained volunteer provides personal assistance in wig selection, fitting, styling, and wearing at no charge. Call 1-800-227-2345 for more information.
Volunteers are needed for Vitamin D Metabolism Study A Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute research team led by Robin Taylor Wilson, Ph.D. is seeking healthy, African-American and European-American volunteers ages 18 to 30 to participate. Learn more about the purpose of this study and access the screening questionnaire.
Our goal is to restore our patients and their families to wholeness, both emotionally and physically, while helping them live with the diagnosis of cancer. We encourage you to connect with other cancer patients, caregivers, family and friends at any of our support groups. Share your experiences with others living with cancer, and hear practical, up-to-date information from our cancer care teams, including what to expect during treatment, how to manage treatment side effects, and more. Click here for a complete list of support groups.
Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute delivers cancer services throughout central and eastern Pennsylvania. The Institute's mission includes clinical care, research, education and community outreach. Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute brings the benefits of cancer-related research and education at Penn State's College of Medicine to the care of patients at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.
Our Partners and Affiliates Include:
- Photography series highlights Penn State Hershey support personnel While portraits of deans, department chairs and board members are often hung around campus, a series of photographs by Dr. Joseph Gascho highlights the importance of those not in the spotlight at Penn State Hershey.More...
- Motorcycle ride benefits Child Life Program at Hershey Organizers of the Helping Little Hands Motorcycle Ride recently presented Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital with $6,630, the proceeds of its second annual bike ride.More...
- Annual ‘Pay for Play’ event for Children’s Miracle Network begins Nov. 6 Nipsey, Earl David Reed and Jen Shade of WQXA-FM 105.7 the X’s "The People’s Morning Show" will host the 28-hour marathon “Pay for Play” broadcast from 6 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 6, through 9 a.m. Friday, Nov. 7.More...
- Children’s Hospital receives contributions from motorcycle enthusiasts Motorcycle enthusiasts from the Lancaster area visited Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital recently to deliver toys and $50,000 in contributions from their Central Pennsylvania Confederation of Motorcycle Clubs Ride.More...