Colon and Rectal Surgery Conferences (All required)
- Pre-Operative Case conference (every Wednesday 7-8 a.m.): All the operative cases for the following week are discussed including indications for surgery, work-up, and pathophysiology. Pertinent studies such as colonoscopies, CT scans, barium studies, and pathology will be reviewed.
- GI Tumor Board (last Friday of the month 7-8 a.m.): Interesting/complex patients with GI cancers (Primarily Colon and Rectal Cancers) are presented and discussed in a multidisciplinary conference. In attendance are surgeons, gastroenterologists, pathologists, radiologists, oncologists, and radiation oncologists. The cases are presented by the colon and rectal resident and the general surgery residents.
- Inflammatory Disease Center (every Wednesday 3-4 p.m.): This is an interesting case conference run by the GI medicine service. On the last Wed of every month a surgical case is presented. The fellow will be responsible for half of these presentations. He/she will also be expected to attend the conference the other weeks when the topic of the case being presented by the GI service is appropriate.
Colon and Rectal Didactic Series: There will be a weekly Colon and Rectal Didactic Conference (every Friday 7-8 a.m.). This conference is designed to cover all aspects of Colon and Rectal Surgery. The colon and rectal resident and the chief general surgery resident will be required to give one lecture every three months. Topics will be assigned. There will be lecturers from outside the department to cover the following topics:
Radiology of the Colon and Rectum
- CT scans
- Fluoroscopic Exams
Pathology of the Colon and Rectum
- Cancer and polyps
- IBD and miscellaneous
- Medical management of IBD
- Medical management of constipation
- Medical Treatment of Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Radiation for Rectal Cancer
- Surgical Management of Liver metastasis
Anesthesia for Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Aspects of general anesthesia
- Local and regional anesthesia
Pediatric Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Imperforate anus
- Hirschsprung's Disease
- Radiology of the Colon and Rectum
The rest of the conferences will be given by the Colon and Rectal Surgery Faculty
- Colon and Rectal Journal Club: Colon and Rectal Journal Club will be held four times/year (every other month). Two to four current articles relating to colon and rectal surgery will be discussed. The Colon and Rectal Resident and Chief General Surgery resident on the service will present the articles.
General Surgery Conferences (All required unless otherwise stated)
- Morbidity and Mortality (every Wednesday 5-6 p.m.). The colorectal residents will present the morbidity and mortalities from the colon and rectal service at this conference. In addition to providing the details of the case they will be required to discuss the teaching points and present a pertinent literature review.
- Grand Rounds (every Thursday 5-6 p.m.)
- Journal Club (one Thursday/month 7-9 a.m.): required only when the subject material is appropriate to Colon and Rectal Surgery. Optional for other topics.
Core Competencies: These conferences are given monthly. An example of the conference topics that were given in the first half follows:
- "Health Disparities", Marianne Hillemeier, Assistant Professor
- "Informed Consent" for Clinical Research", Dr. Kevin Gleeson
- "Professionalism", Dr. Chip Souba
- "Regulatory Issues in the US Healthcare System", Dr. Michael Weitekamp
- "Licensing Issues", Dr. Kimball
- Colon and Rectal Lab Meeting (every Friday 9-10 a.m.): Ongoing basic science research projects in the Colon and Rectal Lab are discussed.
- Surgical Research Seminar (every Wednesday 12-1 p.m.): Research being performed in the Department of Surgery is presented.