Penn State Hershey Dermatology Gives Back
Penn State Hershey Dermatology Baseball
What do Penn State Hershey Dermatology and baseball have in common? Fun, teamwork, excellence, and Drs. Michael Ioffreda and Jeffrey Miller! This past spring, Penn State Hershey Dermatology’s own boys of summer, teamed up to coach a team of 11- and 12-year-old boys, including their sons, in Hershey Little League.
Despite their collective years of education, Mike and Jeff went back to the books in preparation for the season. Jeff commented that “Mike is a student of the game,” while Mike acknowledged about his assistant, “Jeff quickly learned the intricacies of the infield fly rule and the difference between a two-seam and a four-seam fastball.” Mike discovered the subtleties of bunting, and Jeff mastered his hand signals. Learn More >>
"Healthy Skin Made in the Shade"
For more information on Sun Protection, take a look at our brochure!
Sun protection shirts and hats available at our very own Fitness Center!
Sun Umbrellas - Protect your most visible feature!
The umbrellas have especially treated fabric that protects the skin from UVA and UVB rays, forming virtually impenetrable barrier to the sun. Umbrellas are available now for a donation of $39.99 at our Hershey Dermatology clinic, UPC, Suite 100. Proceeds benefit Penn State Hershey Dermatology Community Sun Protection Project.
Our very own, Dr. Christie Travelute, gave an interview on types of skin cancer, sun protection, and the importance of skin screening!
In the United States, the homeless, indigent, and uninsured are a population often overlooked and neglected by our health care system. Ironically, they are often the ones in greatest need of medical treatment. In order to meet the needs of this growing contingent, Penn State Hershey Dermatology has created a free dermatology clinic that is held at the Bethesda Mission in Harrisburg, PA. Originally founded in 1913 as a shelter for men, women and children, the Bethesda Mission is now exclusively a men’s homeless shelter. Although the free clinics are open to both men and women residing in the surrounding area.
For young people with chronic skin conditions, Camp Discovery offers a summer camping experience unlike any they’ve had before. Each year, the American Academy of Dermatology sponsors several week long summer camps throughout the country to meet the regional needs of children with skin disorders, and at no cost to the families. All expenses are covered for every camper that attends camp through generous private donations and academy sponsored funding. It is great week of fishing, boating, swimming, water skiing, arts and crafts, and just plain fun.
Community – The Satisfaction of Giving
- 268 individuals examined at our annual free skin cancer screening clinics
- 125 individuals examined at the PAD skin screening event held at the Capitol in Harrisburg on May 11th, 2011
- New Shade Trees planted near the donated Gazebo!
- 356 individuals examined at our annual free skin cancer screening clinics.
- Monthly Bethesda Mission clinic for the homeless in Harrisburg.
- Volunteered for children with severe skin diseases at Camp Horizon
- Sun shade gazebo dedicated with a donation from Jeanne Arnold and Derry Township partnership
- Dr. Elizabeth Billingsley- Whitaker Board of Directors
- Dr. Bryan Anderson- American Academy of Dermatology Maintenance of Certification Director
- Dr. Michael Ioffreda- leader of Sun Protection Project
- Dr. Andrea Zaenglein - Volunteer at Regional Dermatology Training Center, Tanzania,
- 321 individuals examined at our annual free skin cancer screening clinics.
- Monthly Bethesda Mission Clinic for the homeless in Harrisburg.
- Volunteered for children with severe skin diseases at Camp Horizon.
- Sun shade area constructed with a donation from Jeanne Arnold and Derry Township partnership.
- Dr. Elizabeth Billingsley - Whitaker Center Board of Directors.
- Dr. Jeffrey Miller - Medical Advisor for Children’s Alopecia Project.
- Dr. Bryan Anderson - American Academy of Dermatology Leadership Program.
- Dr. Michael Ioffreda - Leader of Sun Protection Project.
- Dr. Andrea Zaenglein - Volunteer at the Regional Dermatology Training Center, Tanzania, Africa.
- Inspirational student stories put spotlight on College of Medicine Class of 2013 More than 200 medical and graduate students earned their degrees from Penn State College of Medicine this past weekend. Via Penn State Medicine magazine online, read three of their stories and view photos from the commencement ceremony.More...
- The Medical Minute: Genetic testing for breast cancer risk Dr. Rena Kass, director of Penn State Hershey Breast Center, said actress Angelina Jolie’s announcement regarding her double mastectomy is great publicity that will raise awareness about the genetic component of many cancers.More...
- CLIMB program puts families dealing with cancer first Penn State Hershey is hosting another session of CLIMB: Children’s Lives Include Moments of Bravery. Developed by the Children’s Treehouse Foundation, this five-week program sponsored by Penn State Hershey Breast Center addresses the psychosocial aspects of cancer as they relate to the family unit.More...
- Farmers Market in Hershey launches fourth season On Thursday, May 23, the Farmers Market in Hershey will return for its fourth season with plenty of new offerings.More...