Pennsylvania Dermatologists - Penn Hershey Dermatology
We Do the Research in Dermatology
Penn State Hershey Dermatology is dedicated to expanding our knowledge about many dermatological conditions by doing research in the laboratory, as well as in the clinic. We are involved in many exciting research studies so that we can have the most up-to-date information and treatments for our patients. Learn More >>
Our Research Mission
Be a nationally recognized leader in research by:
- Growing our clinical research
- Recruiting a physician researcher to advance our knowledge of skin disease and treatment
- Increasing our Dermatology Research Endowment Funds in order to support our research mission
- Expanding collaborative research with investigators at Penn State - University Park
- Developing research initiatives on quality of healthcare delivery in dermatology
**Penn State Hershey Dermatology is currently seeking a Physician Scientist. For more information, please refer to the advertisement.
Fast Facts in Research
- Dr. Todd V. Cartee received the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery's 2012 Young Investigators Writing Competition Award and the Research Award.
- 11 sponsored clinical studies (9 industry sponsored and 5 investigator initiated).
- 69 peer-reviewed publications featured in national/international journals.
- Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $29,000 for basic science research.
- Sun screen usage at Hershey Park.
- Utilizes Central IRB
- Our clinical trials have more than doubled.
- Implemented the Institution's first research Volunteer Database in the Dermatology clinic.
- In June 2011, Penn State joined the ranks of leading academic centers in receipt of its multimillion dollar Clinical and Translational Sciences Award to fund Penn State's Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI). Dr. Thiboutot, in our department of dermatology is the Director of Clinical and Translational Research Education and Training for the CTSI
- The Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $26,000 for science research. Please see our newsletter.
- The Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $19,000 for basic science research.
- 16 Pharmaceutical- sponsored clinical studies
- #33 in NIH funding of over 100 dermatology departments/divisions nationwide.
- The Dermatology Professor Endowment helped support Dr. Thiboutot's Lab.
- Melanie Dispenza, a MD/PhD candidate was awarded:
- American Acne and Rosacea Society Clinical research Grant
- Travel Award to attend the Montagna Symposium of the Biology of the Skin in Salishan, OR.
- Farber Travel Award for Young Investigators
- Morgan Travel Award from the Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology
- 2010 Finkelstein Memorial Student Research Award
For more information on advances in research at Penn State College of Medicine, please read our newsletter.
The 3rd Annual Dermatology Research Conference will be held September 20nd, 2012 from 1:00 - 5:00 PM.
- Penn State Hershey undergoing final phase of radiology expansion Ongoing renovations to the radiology area on the ground floor of the hospital at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center will make room for additional equipment and give admitted patients awaiting diagnostic procedures a more accessible, private space.More...
- Innovation key to Penn State Hershey’s future, says medical center's CEO Penn State's medical school, university hospital and health system continue to be a magnet for future health professionals, a preferred medical destination for patients across Pennsylvania, and a pioneer in personalized medicine research according to Harold L. Paz, Penn State Hershey Medical Center and Health System CEO and Penn State’s senior vice president for health affairs and dean of Penn State College of Medicine.More...
- The Medical Minute: Some thoughts about organics and 'superfoods' Winter has worn out its welcome. People are eagerly looking forward to the warm weather, getting outside, and indulging once again in fresh, local produce. As consumers inundated with choices, we often wonder what’s the best food to purchase — to go organic or not.More...
- Penn State Hershey IBD experts to host event at Penn State York In an effort to help patients in the York County area living with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis, experts with Penn State Hershey Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center will host a patient symposium on from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, March 18, in the rehearsal room of the Pullo Performing Arts Center on the Penn State York campus.More...