Pennsylvania Dermatologists - Penn Hershey Dermatology
We Do the Research in Dermatology
Penn State Hershey Dermatology is dedicated to expanding our knowledge about many dermatological conditions by doing research in the laboratory, as well as in the clinic. We are involved in many exciting research studies so that we can have the most up-to-date information and treatments for our patients. Learn More >>
Our Research Mission
Be a nationally recognized leader in research by:
- Growing our clinical research
- Recruiting a physician researcher to advance our knowledge of skin disease and treatment
- Increasing our Dermatology Research Endowment Funds in order to support our research mission
- Expanding collaborative research with investigators at Penn State - University Park
- Developing research initiatives on quality of healthcare delivery in dermatology
**Penn State Hershey Dermatology is currently seeking a Physician Scientist. For more information, please refer to the advertisement.
Fast Facts in Research
- Dr. Todd V. Cartee received the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery's 2012 Young Investigators Writing Competition Award and the Research Award.
- 11 sponsored clinical studies (9 industry sponsored and 5 investigator initiated).
- 69 peer-reviewed publications featured in national/international journals.
- Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $29,000 for basic science research.
- Sun screen usage at Hershey Park.
- Utilizes Central IRB
- Our clinical trials have more than doubled.
- Implemented the Institution's first research Volunteer Database in the Dermatology clinic.
- In June 2011, Penn State joined the ranks of leading academic centers in receipt of its multimillion dollar Clinical and Translational Sciences Award to fund Penn State's Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI). Dr. Thiboutot, in our department of dermatology is the Director of Clinical and Translational Research Education and Training for the CTSI
- The Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $26,000 for science research. Please see our newsletter.
- The Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $19,000 for basic science research.
- 16 Pharmaceutical- sponsored clinical studies
- #33 in NIH funding of over 100 dermatology departments/divisions nationwide.
- The Dermatology Professor Endowment helped support Dr. Thiboutot's Lab.
- Melanie Dispenza, a MD/PhD candidate was awarded:
- American Acne and Rosacea Society Clinical research Grant
- Travel Award to attend the Montagna Symposium of the Biology of the Skin in Salishan, OR.
- Farber Travel Award for Young Investigators
- Morgan Travel Award from the Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology
- 2010 Finkelstein Memorial Student Research Award
For more information on advances in research at Penn State College of Medicine, please read our newsletter.
The 3rd Annual Dermatology Research Conference will be held September 20nd, 2012 from 1:00 - 5:00 PM.
- New Head and Neck Cancer Support Group starts April 27 The head and neck cancer team at Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute will host the inaugural Head and Neck Cancer Support Group from 2 to 3 p.m. Sunday, April 27, at the University Conference Center, Room 302A, on the Penn State Hershey campus.More...
- April is National Donate Life Month It’s a fact that one person can save the lives of up to eight others and improve the lives of many more through organ, eye, and tissue donation.More...
- Adult Cochlear Implant Support Group to meet on May 8 May is Better Speech and Hearing Month. Celebrate May by helping people communicate better. The Penn State Hershey Departments of Otolaryngology and Audiology will host the Adult Cochlear Implant Support Group meeting on May 8.More...
- IPM Symposium set for May 16 The 2014 Penn State Hershey Institute for Personalized Medicine Symposium will be held from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on May 16, bringing together the brightest in the field of personalized and genomic medicine.More...