Penn State Hershey Department of Emergency Medicine
Please join us in welcoming Susan B. Promes, MD as professor and chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine.
Dr. Promes, who joined Penn State Hershey in July 2014, was previously professor and vice chair for education in the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.
Dr. Promes has received numerous awards and honors for excellence in teaching, leadership and service. She is active in professional groups including the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine and the American College of Emergency Physicians; she also serves on the ACGME Emergency Medicine Residency Review Committee. Her academic interests include team training, bedside teaching, medical errors, and clinical guidelines; her research focuses on medical education and faculty development with a current emphasis on evaluation of learners.
Welcome Dr. Promes!
Celebrating 25 Years of Saving Lives
- For more than twenty-five years, Penn State Hershey Life Lion Critical Care Transport has been saving lives in central Pennsylvania and beyond. Since the first patient flight in December 1986, more than 30,000 patient transports have been completed, and the team of twenty-three employees has grown to nearly 70 pilots, nurses, paramedics and support staff. Watch our team in action.
- As Penn State Hershey Life Lion Critical Care Team celebrates twenty-five years, Read more on how the flight team reflects on how medical air services have changed and what's ahead.
Penn State Hershey Emergency Medicine is committed to:
- Providing the highest quality, efficient and compassionate care to our patients and our community;
- Advancing the knowledge base of Emergency Medicine and care outcomes through clinical excellence, research and scholarship and;
- Educate and train the future leaders in Emergency Medicine
- Caring - we embrace sensitivity to the well-being of patients, families and staff;
- Excellence - we strive for the highest quality of care for all patients;
- Growth - we share a personal and organizational commitment to professional development and life long learning;
- Respect - we value the dignity, autonomy and worth of individuals of all backgrounds;
- Timeliness - we strive for expeditious evaluation and treatment, while maintaining the highest possible quality; Teamwork - we are committed to work together towards common goals through effective communication, collaboration, tolerance of variation in ideas, and the assumption of responsibility and accountability for the actions and decisions required by one's role
Every minute counts in the care of acutely ill and injured patients. Life Lion's Critical Care medical teams save not only precious time, but also deliver specialized care and treatment. Click here to learn more.
Penn State Hershey Life Lion EMS is committed to providing the community, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, and the region, with easy access to quality, efficient, out-of-hospital care in a professional, compassionate, and caring environment. Click here to learn more.
- Women will benefit from the Affordable Care Act's contraceptive coverage Women could benefit greatly from the Affordable Care Act's mandate for contraceptive coverage, according to Penn State College of Medicine researchers.More...
- Superhero Window Washers: The Sequel! Four window washers put down their cleaning tools and transformed into superheroes Wednesday (Aug. 13) for a costumed descent down the side of Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital.More...
- Talk planned on understanding the science of meditation What is the effect of meditation on your physical and mental health? Is there any scientific basis or evidence for meditation? Can meditation be used as an alternative therapy? An upcoming lecture will offer the answers to these questions.More...
- Job fair for RNs, CNAs set for Aug. 21 Penn State Hershey will host a free job fair for registered nurses and certified nursing assistants from 3:30 to 7 p.m. Aug. 21 at the Tree House Café inside Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital. Penn State Hershey recruiters will be available to discuss open positions and unit managers will be available to meet with interested candidates.More...