Welcome to Penn State Hershey Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Penn State Hershey Endocrinology and Diabetes evaluates adult patients with a variety of glandular and metabolic problems such as thyroid, parathyroid, diabetes, gonadal, pituitary and adrenal diseases. We evaluate and treat patients with osteoporosis and other metabolic diseases and help adult patients with diabetes manage the disease. Surgery to treat a particular endocrinology disease is performed by trained surgeons with full support from a medical endocrinologist, Core Endocrine Laboratory and radiology services.
The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism offers a two-year fellowship training program leading to Board Certification in Endocrinology and Metabolism and clinical competence in all areas of endocrinology and metabolic diseases. Teaching is provided through a busy outpatient referral practice in Endocrinology and Diabetes and an active inpatient service. The Division provides an unusually integrated approach to training by effective utilization of patients and faculty members in Surgery, OB/GYN, Nuclear Medicine, and Pathology in addition to the core faculty from the department of Medicine. Clinical research opportunities are provided throughout the training program with research topics encompassing the entire scope of endocrine disease.
The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism continues to pursue its multiple missions of research, education and patient care.
- Diabetes Playbook
We're focused on Reinventing Diabetes Care™. One of the ways we are reaching this goal is by hearing what our patients have to say. When our patients asked for an easy way to keep track of their diabetes care, the Diabetes Playbook was made. Not only does the book offer tips on how to manage diabetes from people who treat diabetes, it offers tips from people who live with diabetes every day. The Diabetes Playbook was a Gold winner in the 24th Annual Healthcare Marketing Advertising Report Awards, recognized for its effective way of delivering its diabetes education message.
We also received the Allene Von Son Award from the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) for the Diabetes Playbook. This award, sponsored by the Bayer Corporation, recognizes diabetes educators and programs that have developed original, outstanding, and effective patient education tools.
The Playbook provides up-to-date information about diabetes and its management.
- Download a free, printable copy of the Diabetes Playbook.
- You can order up to 2 professionally printed, hard copies of the Diabetes Playbook at no cost. Click here to complete the Diabetes Playbook order form online. We welcome any questions, comments or suggestions that you may have regarding our Diabetes Playbook. Please forward your comments to Diabetes_Institute@hmc.psu.edu.
The Foundation for Enhancing Communities has helped to support our Diabetes Playbook.
- Football team visits Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital Core value No. 1 for Penn State Football is ensuring that every member of the program has a positive attitude at all times. When the entire team boarded three buses on Wednesday (July 23) afternoon, head coach James Franklin and the Nittany Lions set out on a mission to make a visit to Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital one filled with positivity and enthusiasm.More...
- The Medical Minute: Summer can be time to address behavior problems After weeks of the kids being out of school, some parents have had enough of their behavior and are counting the days until they go back. Some may also be wondering how much of the defiant behavior is normal and when it's time to seek help.More...
- Tobacco Intervention Program at Penn State Hershey Penn State Hershey Medical Center’s Tobacco Intervention Program, or TIP, support group meets from 6:30 to 8 p.m. every Monday evening at the University Conference Center on the Penn State Hershey campus. The free group sessions guide participants from decision-making to quitting through relapse prevention. Interested individuals should call 1-800-243-1455 to register and for directions.More...
- Program to fund physician scientists at Penn State Hershey Penn State Hershey is launching the Physician-Scientist Recruitment Initiative to address the decreasing number of clinicians conducting biomedical research. Physicians bring a unique perspective to scientific questions on public health because of their experience with patients.More...