Welcome to Penn State Hershey Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Penn State Hershey Endocrinology and Diabetes evaluates adult patients with a variety of glandular and metabolic problems such as thyroid, parathyroid, diabetes, gonadal, pituitary and adrenal diseases. We evaluate and treat patients with osteoporosis and other metabolic diseases and help adult patients with diabetes manage the disease. Surgery to treat a particular endocrinology disease is performed by trained surgeons with full support from a medical endocrinologist, Core Endocrine Laboratory and radiology services.
The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism offers a two-year fellowship training program leading to Board Certification in Endocrinology and Metabolism and clinical competence in all areas of endocrinology and metabolic diseases. Teaching is provided through a busy outpatient referral practice in Endocrinology and Diabetes and an active inpatient service. The Division provides an unusually integrated approach to training by effective utilization of patients and faculty members in Surgery, OB/GYN, Nuclear Medicine, and Pathology in addition to the core faculty from the department of Medicine. Clinical research opportunities are provided throughout the training program with research topics encompassing the entire scope of endocrine disease.
The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism continues to pursue its multiple missions of research, education and patient care.
- Diabetes Playbook
We're focused on Reinventing Diabetes Care™. One of the ways we are reaching this goal is by hearing what our patients have to say. When our patients asked for an easy way to keep track of their diabetes care, the Diabetes Playbook was made. Not only does the book offer tips on how to manage diabetes from people who treat diabetes, it offers tips from people who live with diabetes every day. The Diabetes Playbook was a Gold winner in the 24th Annual Healthcare Marketing Advertising Report Awards, recognized for its effective way of delivering its diabetes education message.
We also received the Allene Von Son Award from the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) for the Diabetes Playbook. This award, sponsored by the Bayer Corporation, recognizes diabetes educators and programs that have developed original, outstanding, and effective patient education tools.
The Playbook provides up-to-date information about diabetes and its management.
- Download a free, printable copy of the Diabetes Playbook.
- You can order up to 2 professionally printed, hard copies of the Diabetes Playbook at no cost. Click here to complete the Diabetes Playbook order form online. We welcome any questions, comments or suggestions that you may have regarding our Diabetes Playbook. Please forward your comments to Diabetes_Institute@hmc.psu.edu.
The Foundation for Enhancing Communities has helped to support our Diabetes Playbook.
- Faculty work to change treatment for sexual behavior problems Penn State Network on Child Protection and Well-Being faculty member Brian Allen is exploring new frontiers in a field of child mental health that is often underexamined, underfunded and overlooked. Allen, a clinical child psychologist practicing at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, hopes to change the conversation -- or lack thereof -- surrounding child sexual behavior problems with help from a Children’s Miracle Network grant.More...
- Exercise program inspires $14 million College of Medicine research study Three sets of shoulder presses, chat about the weather. Three sets of chair stands, joke with the person on your right. Three sets of arm pulls, encourage the person on your left. This simple recipe – which combines strength training with socialization – has become a successful formula for older adults who participate in Band Together peer exercise groups throughout Central Pennsylvania.More...
- Sending a 'We Are!' thank you to these Penn Staters This week, we recognize five people who go above and beyond what's asked of them in their work at the University. We're sending a "We Are!" to Penn Staters with World Campus, Penn State Hershey, Penn State Law and the College of Agricultural Sciences.More...
- Association recognizes research of laboratory animal medicine residents The work of three residents in the Laboratory Animal Medicine Residency Program at Penn State College of Medicine has been recognized at professional meetings.More...