Welcome to Penn State Hershey Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Penn State Hershey Endocrinology and Diabetes evaluates adult patients with a variety of glandular and metabolic problems such as thyroid, parathyroid, diabetes, gonadal, pituitary and adrenal diseases. We evaluate and treat patients with osteoporosis and other metabolic diseases and help adult patients with diabetes manage the disease. Surgery to treat a particular endocrinology disease is performed by trained surgeons with full support from a medical endocrinologist, Core Endocrine Laboratory and radiology services.
The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism offers a two-year fellowship training program leading to Board Certification in Endocrinology and Metabolism and clinical competence in all areas of endocrinology and metabolic diseases. Teaching is provided through a busy outpatient referral practice in Endocrinology and Diabetes and an active inpatient service. The Division provides an unusually integrated approach to training by effective utilization of patients and faculty members in Surgery, OB/GYN, Nuclear Medicine, and Pathology in addition to the core faculty from the department of Medicine. Clinical research opportunities are provided throughout the training program with research topics encompassing the entire scope of endocrine disease.
The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism continues to pursue its multiple missions of research, education and patient care.
- Diabetes Playbook
We're focused on Reinventing Diabetes Care™. One of the ways we are reaching this goal is by hearing what our patients have to say. When our patients asked for an easy way to keep track of their diabetes care, the Diabetes Playbook was made. Not only does the book offer tips on how to manage diabetes from people who treat diabetes, it offers tips from people who live with diabetes every day. The Diabetes Playbook was a Gold winner in the 24th Annual Healthcare Marketing Advertising Report Awards, recognized for its effective way of delivering its diabetes education message.
We also received the Allene Von Son Award from the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) for the Diabetes Playbook. This award, sponsored by the Bayer Corporation, recognizes diabetes educators and programs that have developed original, outstanding, and effective patient education tools.
The Playbook provides up-to-date information about diabetes and its management.
- Download a free, printable copy of the Diabetes Playbook.
- You can order up to 2 professionally printed, hard copies of the Diabetes Playbook at no cost. Click here to complete the Diabetes Playbook order form online. We welcome any questions, comments or suggestions that you may have regarding our Diabetes Playbook. Please forward your comments to Diabetes_Institute@hmc.psu.edu.
The Foundation for Enhancing Communities has helped to support our Diabetes Playbook.
- Handprint ceremony at Children’s Hospital highlights $250,000 grant presentation The pediatric cancer research of Penn State Hershey’s Dr. Hong-Gang Wang has received a $250,000 grant from Hyundai Hope On Wheels. The funds will support his research into whether autophagy – the human cell’s self-cleansing mechanism – can be used to make cancer cells die.More...
- The Medical Minute: Research continues improving the odds for kids with cancer The American Cancer Society reports one in every 285 children younger than 20 will be diagnosed with cancer. That makes childhood cancer relatively rare. Still, nearly 16,000 new cases were anticipated for 2014 resulting in 1,900 to 2,000 deaths. And for most parents, it’s a worst-case scenario. Through research, the outlook for children with cancer is far better today than it’s ever been, yet much more remains to be done.More...
- New online farmers market available for Penn State Hershey employees The Farmers Market in Hershey is partnering with Healthy Living Kitchen to enable Medical Center and College of Medicine employees to purchase market products online and pick them up more conveniently on campus.More...
- Miracle Marathon to kick off on Sept. 16 The Miracle Marathon wellness challenge will take place from Sept. 16 through Oct. 12. Participants move at their own pace and on their own time -- just one mile every day for 27 days, with proceeds from the event to benefit Children’s Miracle Network at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital.More...