How to Apply
Eligible applicants for the Ophthalmology Residency Program must apply through the Central Application Service of the San Francisco Match Program for Ophthalmology (SF Match), sponsored by the Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology. Applications are reviewed by members of the faculty and the Residency Program Director. Interviews are then offered to outstanding candidates. Prospective residents are evaluated based on their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity. The Ophthalmology Residency Program of the Penn State Hershey Eye Center does not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Applicants must also apply for a PGY1 preliminary spot in Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Pediatrics, etc. through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) in addition to their application for a PGY2 Ophthalmology residency position through the San Francisco Match Program.
Additional Highlights for Consideration:
- 18 Full-time Faculty with Expertise in the Major Ophthalmic Subspecialties (Cornea; General Eye Care; Glaucoma; Neuro-Ophthalmology; Medical Retina; Oculoplastic Surgery; Ophthalmic Pathology; Pediatric Ophthalmology; Vitreoretinal Surgery)
- Resident-focused program: three residents per year; no fellows
- Full ACGME Accreditation
- Two Clinical Sites (Penn State Hershey Medical Center and Lebanon VA Medical Center)
- State of the art facilities and equipment
- Optimum balance of medical and surgical training and resident autonomy and supervision
- Highly collaborative environment among faculty, residents, and staff
- Supportive learning environment with ample opportunities to interact with faculty, fellow residents, and medical students
- Innovative surgical training program with state of the art simulation center
- Dedicated resident research experience (All residents have had their research accepted for presentation at ARVO)
- Exceptional fellowship match success at top fellowship programs