Welcome to Penn State Hershey Eye Center
Penn State Hershey Eye Center exists to provide the highest quality eye care to our patients, improve this care through research and education, and create an environment where our people can develop professionally and find fulfillment in their work. We pledge to distinguish ourselves not only by our clinical and our academic achievements but also by the professional manner in which we interact with others.
Eye School 2014
A community education event for students of all ages
Join us on Saturday, November 8, 2014 from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center campus - University Conference Center
Students will learn about the intricate anatomy of the eye, corneal disease and transplants, diabetic retinopathy, and cataract surgery. There is no fee for this event but registration is required due to limited seating. Click here to register online or call 717-531-8783. A light continental breakfast will be provided at 8:00 am and the program begins at 8:30 am.
$8 million dollar grant received
Ingrid U. Scott, MD, MPH, professor of ophthalmology and public health sciences, was awarded a five-year, $8 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to conduct a national clinical trial for treatment of vision loss due to blood vessel blockage in the retina.
The National Eye Institute grant funds the Study of Comparative Treatments for Retinal Vein Occlusion 2, called SCORE2. Dr. Scott will lead the study, which will recruit patients from throughout the country at more than seventy sites.
SCORE2 will compare treatments for vision loss caused by swelling in the retina from a blockage in the central retinal vein (called a central retinal vein occlusion).
Our Shared Values
- Innovation - in all of our missions
- Teamwork and Collaboration - internally and externally
- Service - working together for others
- Excellence - the constant pursuit in everything we do
Our Guiding Principles
- We focus on the people we serve.
- We value our people.
- We celebrate diversity.
- We are a learning organization.
- We practice open communication.
- We act responsibly and accept accountability for what we do.
- We succeed with personal involvement, which is continuously encouraged, recognized, and rewarded.
- We are responsible stewards of the resources entrusted to us.
- Effectively integrate our missions of patient care, research, and education as we engage in service to our community
- Create an environment in which our people are valued and fulfilled
- Recruit and develop outstanding individuals who share our values, providing them with the tools to succeed
- Collaborate actively, both internally and externally
- Maintain financial stability
- Pursue excellence in everything we do
- Committee recommends capital budget request, learns of improvement projects Penn State is requesting $129.2 million in capital funding from the state for fiscal year 2015-16, with a primary focus on funding major building renewal and maintenance projects.More...
- Trustees approve structure for new Health enterprise The Board of Trustees committee on Finance, Business and Capital Planning today (Sept. 18) voted to recommend the creation of Penn State Health, a new not-for-profit entity that provides a legal structure to incorporate various health care facilities and service providers into one new health enterprise. The full board will vote on the motion on Friday.More...
- Hershey's Hillemeier discusses year of continued clinical growth, innovation Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center continued a trend of strong financial performance, with a fiscal year highlighted by clinical growth and innovative approaches to education, research and patient care challenges spurred by a health care industry undergoing rapid transformation.More...
- Diabetes Fair to highlight therapies, educational information Adult Diabetes Education at Penn State Hershey will host a diabetes fair from 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 1 at the University Fitness Center, rooms A, B and C for all members of the community. Faculty and staff are also welcome to attend.More...