Adjunct & Clinical Appointments

Access to Penn State University Library Resources for Clinical/Adjunct Faculty Members

Adjunct and Clinical Appointments are faculty appointments for qualified individuals who are employed elsewhere and perform educational services for the College of Medicine without remuneration (refer to PSU HR-07).  Persons appointed in these categories are not eligible for tenure, are not remunerated by Penn State, and do not participate in the benefits program of Penn State.

Adjunct faculty titles are defined in PSU HR-07. Adjunct appointments are reserved for non-clinical faculty (e.g., Ph.D., D.S.W.) at other institutions who participate in providing educational services to College of Medicine students.  Their titles contain the word "adjunct," such as Adjunct Assistant Professor of Cellular and Molecular Physiology.

Clinical faculty appointments are defined in PSU HR-07.  Clinical appointments are reserved for practicing clinicians (e.g., M.D., D.O.) at other institutions who provide educational services to College of Medicine students.  Their titles contain the word "clinical," such as Clinical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

To request a new appointment, the Department Chair at the College of Medicine in which the individual is providing educational services  should submit a request to the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, mailcode H184 or email to  The request should explain in what manner the individual is providing educational services to the organization (e.g. teaching medical or graduate students).  The memo should also include the requested academic rank of the appointment, and the effective date.   Evidence of Board Certification (or equivalent) must be included with the request.  This may be in the form of a copy of the board certificate, approval letter, or copy of online verification of certification.   An updated CV for the individual must be attached.   After approval, the Office of Faculty Affairs will notify the individual of the appointment, with a copy to the Department Chair.