Documents Required for International Travel

Global Health Center Travel Application
Click image to access the travel application.

Medical students interested in studying or doing research abroad will need to complete the Global Health Center's Travel Application.  This application along with all supporting documentation must be completed in its entirety before it can be submitted to the GHC for review.  

Click image to access the travel application

Completed applications can be submitted to Tina Lengle in the Office of Medical Education:

Room C1704

Phone: 717-531-0003 x285929
Fax: 717-531-3925

The link above includes all the initial required forms.  The links below are all other required tasks referred to in the above application: 

  •   Pre-travel Programming
  •   Purchase travel insurance: HTH Worldwide Insurance Services
    • Travel Insurance is required: There is not a US domestic health insurance plan that will cover evacuations or repatriations for medical reasons, political/security reasons or natural disasters. An evacuation or repatriation that requires an air ambulance (small jet aircraft with a fully equipped ICU, a medical team comprised of a doctor, nurse and maybe respiratory therapist as well as a flight crew) starts at $100,000. With HTH, an evacuation such as this only costs an individual $1.12/day they pay for the policy. Most insurance companies reimburse at a specific rate - 80% is pretty standard. HTH reimburses at 100%.
  •   Register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
  •   Travel Petition Waiver (if applicable)
  •   MSR Proposal Form (if applicable)

In addition to completing these forms, students will be required to:        

  • Contact Student Health to be fitted for (and receive) TB masks
  • Contact the Travel Clinic for appropriate vaccinations, medications, advice
  • Investigate Visa and host country specific requirements
  • Meet academic standards
  • Complete a post-trip evaluation form

Travel Safety and Health Links

Ethical Issues in Global Health

Penn State Related Policies: