Special Lighting of the Crescent building
As part of an ongoing effort to reduce energy usage and operate in a more cost efficient and environmentally friendly manner, Penn State Hershey Medical Center installed an LED lighting system to illuminate its signature Crescent, replacing the original and less efficient facade lighting. In addition to reducing energy consumption, the upgraded system now enables the Medical Center to illuminate its highly visible "front door" using different color schemes than the standard "white lights" that have lit the Crescent for the past forty years.
Given the visibility of the Crescent and the significant recognition factor this signature piece of architecture has among community members, Medical Center and College of Medicine leadership recognize that it can be used to effectively bring broad general awareness to various mission-related causes, issues and events simply by changing the color of its illumination.
Bathing the building in a color associated with a particular health-related cause during well-established observance periods provides an opportunity to reach thousands of people with basic messages of awareness.
- November 14-18, 2016 - World Diabetes Day (Blue)
- November 11, 2016 - Veteran's Day (Red, White and Blue)
- October 25-30, 2016 - Domestic Violence (Purple)
- October 11-16, 2016 - Breast Cancer Awareness (Pink)
- September 24-29 - Hunger Action (Orange)
- September 16-20 - Prostate Cancer Awareness (Blue)
- September 11 - National Day of Service and Remembrance (Red, White, Blue)
- September 7-10 - Thyroid CA Awareness (Teal, Pink, Blue)
- September 1-4 - Childhood Cancer Awareness (Yellow)
- July 14-16 - Bladder Cancer Awareness (Marigold, blue and purple)
- June 6-10 - Survivorship Celebration (Lavender)
- May 18-24 - Cystic Fibrosis Awareness (Purple)
- May 9-13 - Women's Lung Cancer Awareness (Turquoise)
- May 2-6 - Stroke Awareness (Red and Purple)
- April 26-30 - Child Abuse Prevention Awareness (Blue)
- April 19-23 - Sexual Assault Awareness (Teal)
- April 10-15 - Head and Neck Cancer Awareness (Burgundy and White)
- April 1-6 - World Autism Awareness Day (Blue)
- February 25-27 - 50th Anniversary of the Medical Center ground breaking (gold)
- February 19-20 - THON (Blue and White)
- February 1-6 - National Heart Month (Red)
- November 20-25 - Gastric Cancer (Periwinkle)
- November 16-18 - Diabetes Awareness (Blue)
- November 13-15 - World Diabetes Day (Blue)
- November 11 - Veterans Day (Red, White and Blue)
- October 1-7 - Breast Cancer Awareness (Pink)
- October 8-12 - Liver Cancer Awareness (Green)
Frequently Asked Questions
Does it cost more to light the building this way?
It actually costs 80% less than the previous lighting technology.
How long has Penn State Hershey been lighting the building for awareness issues?
Penn State Hershey installed the new lighting equipment in October, 2011 as part of an energy reduction initiative. We first illuminated the building with special color in November 2011 as part of a Penn State Football "Blue Out" campaign.
Do you have to change the light bulbs by hand to get the different color lights?
The lights are controlled by a computer inside the building. From the computer, we can control not only the colors but the patterns of colors and timing.
Where can I send photos that I have taken of your building?