Special Lighting of the Crescent building
As part of an ongoing effort to reduce energy usage and operate in a more cost efficient and environmentally friendly manner, Penn State Hershey Medical Center installed an LED lighting system to illuminate its signature Crescent, replacing the original and less efficient facade lighting. In addition to reducing energy consumption, the upgraded system now enables the Medical Center to illuminate its highly visible "front door" using different color schemes than the standard "white lights" that have lit the Crescent for the past forty years.
Given the visibility of the Crescent and the significant recognition factor this signature piece of architecture has among community members, Medical Center and College of Medicine leadership recognize that it can be used to effectively bring broad general awareness to various mission-related causes, issues and events simply by changing the color of its illumination.
Bathing the building in a color associated with a particular health-related cause during well-established observance periods provides an opportunity to reach thousands of people with basic messages of awareness.
|11/1/2014||Prostate Cancer Awareness||Blue|
|11/9/2014||Pancreatic Cancer Awareness||Purple|
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does it cost more to light the building this way?
- It actually costs 80% less than the previous illumination process.
- How long has Penn State Hershey been lighting the building for awareness issues?
- Penn State Hershey installed the new lighting equipment in October, 2011 as part of an energy reduction initiative. We first illuminated the building with special color in November 2011 as part of a Penn State Football "Blue Out" campaign.
- Do we have to change the light bulbs by hand to get the different color lights?
- The lights are controlled by a computer inside the building. From the computer, we can control not only the colors but the patterns of colors and timing.
- Where can I send photos that I have taken of your building?
- Penn State Hershey welcomes your photos and all photos can be shared with us through Facebook or Twitter.