Good People, Great Medicine
If you like a small town feel but want to have the excitement of the city within reach, then living in the south central Pennsylvania has all that and more to offer.
The Penn State Hershey Medical Center (PSHMC) is located in Hershey, PA, a thriving resort town of approximately 20,000. It provides residents and visitors with the employment, cultural and recreational opportunities that is attractive to people of all ages and walks of life.
Hershey is a suburban community in a metropolitan area of 400,000 and is one of the fastest growing regions in the state. Hershey is approximately 12 miles from Harrisburg, the state capital and largest employer in the Commonwealth.
If you work for PSHMC you can have your pick of whatever environment it is that makes you call south central PA "home."
Hershey – aka The Sweetest Place on Earth – Imagine waking up to the smell of chocolate or roasted peanuts in the air. It can't get any better than that! In Chocolatetown, U.S.A. there is plenty to do for fun or relaxation – visit HersheyPark or the Hershey spa, take the kids to ZooAmerica, or go to the Giant Center to take in a Hershey Bears Ice Hockey game or to see one of many top-name entertainers. .
Harrisburg, the state capitol is located 12 miles from the Hershey Medical Center – this city is located along the mighty Susquehanna River where you will see it dotted with pontoon boats, ski boats and more in the summer; take the family out for a summer baseball game at Riverside Stadium which is the home of the Harrisburg Senators baseball team. The stadium sits on its own little island – City Island, which hosts year round attractions and extensive special events for all ages. In town you can spend your time visiting the Museum of Scientific Discovery, The Whitaker Center, art galleries and restaurants.
Lancaster County is approximately 30 miles from Hershey and also boasts top restaurants, the Farmers Market; and tours of authentic Amish farm life. Lancaster is also known for its many famous top designer brand shopping outlet stores.
Gettysburg is 49 miles from Hershey and is the home of the Gettysburg National Military Park with monuments and cannons along miles of winding roadways marking the site of the Civil War Battle. You may even come across a ghost on the civil war grounds as many have witnessed.
Some Helpful Websites
- www.visitPa.com (Official site for travel and tourism in Hershey, PA)
- www.harrisburgpa.gov (Official site for the city of Harrisburg, PA)
- www.hersheyharrisburg.org (Hershey Harrisburg Regional Visitors Bureau)
- www.banking.state.pa.us (Pennsylvania Department of Banking)
Places of Worship
- Patriot News - www.patriot-news.com
- Central Penn Business Journal - www.centralpennbusiness.com
- York Daily Record - www.ydr.com
- York Dispatch - www.yorkdispatch.com
- Harrisburg Magazine - www.harrisburgmagazine.com
- Fly Magazine - http://www.flymagazine.net/
- Lancaster New Era (Lancaster on-line) - www.lancasteronline.com/
- Lebanon Daily News - www.ldnews.com
- WHPTV - www.whptv.com/default.aspx
- WHTM - www.whtm.com/
- WITF - netcommunity.witf.org/home
- FOX43 - www.fox43.com
- WGAL - www.wgal.com
- Harrisburg International Airport - www.flyhia.com
- Amtrak - www.amtrak.com
- Capital Area Transit (CAT) - www.cattransit.com
- Greyhound Bus Line- http://www.greyhound.com/
- Baltimore Washington International Airport - www.bwiairport.com
- Philadelphia International Airport - http://www.phl.org/Pages/HomePage.aspx
- www.123movers.com/moving_companies/pennsylvania/state-PA/s-residential/state.html (same one as above, but direct to PA)
- Jack Gaughen - www.jgr.com/
- Coldwell Banker - www.coldwellbanker.com/
- Exit Realty - www.exitrealty.com/
- Realtor.com - www.realtor.com/
This list is subject to change. This information is provided as a courtesy to our visitors. Penn State Hershey does not endorse any of the items listed.