Blueprints for Wellness
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center is dedicated to employee wellness. It is important for our employees to be aware and take charge of their health. It starts with each of us making healthier choices and taking a greater interest in the daily decisions that affect our health. The goal of Blueprints for Wellness is to increase employees' awareness of their health, as well as excite change towards a positive impact.
It's time to Shape Up!
Pennstatehershey.shapeup.com is now open for all employees and spouses/domestic partners of Penn State Hershey Medical Center, College of Medicine, and Penn State employees on the Hershey campus. Register now, create your profile and start building your network of supporters to help you accomplish your wellness goals!
A Penn State Hershey employees shares about quitting smoking after 23 years with the help of the Tobacco Intervention Program.
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center’s employee wellness program is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life through optimal health. Blueprints for Wellness will promote healthy lifestyles for employees and their families by creating a culture of wellness, providing education on healthy behaviors, and empowering participants to encourage one another in healthful practices.
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center will be a leader in the community regarding successful wellness practices. It will be a place where making healthy choices at work is achievable. Blueprints for Wellness will cultivate a nurturing environment where peers encourage one another toward optimal health.
2013 Fitness Incentive Program
For 2013, each Medical Center employee/spouse/partner, and dependents (age 12 and up) who are covered under the Medical Center's health plan are eligible to have up to 3 consecutive months at a fitness facility reimbursed.
- There is no longer an in-network gym system for 2013. The choice of facility is not limited to certain gyms. Qualifying facilities include gyms, fitness pools, yoga, personal training, and martial arts studios. Non-member classes at the UFC also count in lieu of a UFC membership.
- Participants must have attended their respective facility.
- The three months must be used consecutively in 2013. No rollover time will be permitted into 2014.
- Employees must be covered under the health plan during the fitness participation period.
- All forms must be received by 1/31/2014 for a one-time processing in early 2014. Qualified participants will receive a check from Highmark to their home address by March 31, 2014.
University Fitness Center members: your reimbursement will be automatically submitted to Blueprints for Wellness.
Non-University Fitness Center members: you will need to complete a reimbursement request form to redeem the free three month incentive. The on-line reimbursement form is available here. Reimbursements requests are due 1/31/14.
The one-time reimbursement processing will occur in early 2014 and all reimbursement checks will be mailed from Highmark Blue Shield to your home address by March 31, 2014.
Maximum Reimbursement Amounts
The maximum reimbursement amount is up $25 per month. Extra fees (e.g. enrollment, maintenance, tanning, childcare, etc.) are not eligible for reimbursement. Please note that different facilities have different definitions for joint and family memberships.
- Individual Membership- up to $75 total
- Joint Membership- (health plan member and spouse/partner or dependent) - up to $150 total
- Family membership [health plan member, spouse/partner, and dependent(s)] - up to $200 total
Highmark's Wellness Rewards Program can help change your role with your health. By following program requirements, you take an important step toward a healthier lifestyle.
Wellness Rewards is an easy-to-follow program that identifies health and lifestyle areas in need of improvement, then helps you develop (and keep!) new, healthier habits. Log on and complete all three steps to better health.
- Step 1: Profile - Complete your profile online. It will take you approximately 20-30 minutes to complete this assessment, and you will get your results online within minutes. The results of your profile are kept confidential and not shared with your employer. www.highmarkblueshield.com. Click here for step-by-step directions.
- Step 3: Prevention - You are encouraged to receive, or to schedule preventive exams within the calendar year applicable to your age and gender. Once you have scheduled your preventive exam, enter your appointment date on your Highmark member Web site, www.highmarkblueshield.com. The merits of preventive exams are clear. For more on how to care for your health, see the Prevention Schedule.
- Step 3: Shape-Up - Register at pennstatehershey.shapeup.com. Create your profile and participate in at least one challenge.
Personal Nutrition Coaching
All Highmark members are eligible for free one-on-one counseling with a Registered Dietitian to help you make healthy lifestyle and nutrition choices. The PNC program includes a one-hour session and up to six, one-half hour sessions. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact Pam Glanert with PSU's employee wellness program, Health Matters, at 814.865.5911 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Highmark offers a comprehensive health information and support program which provides you with up-to-date and easy to understand information about medical conditions and treatment options. A registered nurse Health Coach is available online at the Highmark Blue Shield Website address or at a toll-free telephone number - 1-888-BLUE-428, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help you make informed healthcare decisions, optimize your self-care capabilities, and follow your prescribed treatment plans to improve your health outcomes. Using the patient-centered approach, Shared Decision-Making,
- There are three levels of health coaching and support:
- General information and support regarding medical procedures, treatment decisions and questions following a doctor's visit, plus access to audiotapes on hundreds of health-related topics and targeted mailings of printed materials.
- Treatment decision support for making medical and surgical decisions that reflect personal values and preferences, talking with physicians regarding treatment options, and receiving ongoing support and follow-up throughout treatment plans, plus links to information sources, free videotapes and Web-based education.
- Chronic condition management for those at greater risk for hospitalization, complications or an increase in the severity of their disease, including needs assessments, information on effectively managing a chronic condition, and referrals to appropriate resources, such as case managers, home health services, community resources or Employee Assistance Programs. Blues On Call also provides targeted mailings relative to specific risks, free equipment or tools to support self-management goals and help to improve clinical and quality of life outcomes and reduce ongoing risks associated with chronic disease.
The new Weight Watchers benefit for 2013 features a 50% subsidy for Penn State Hershey Medical Center employees and spouses/domestic partners covered under the group health plan. The subsidy is valid for 6 consecutive months and must be used in the 2013 calendar year. The discount is applicable for the monthly pass or the online program.
To activate your 50% off Weight Watchers membership log on at https://wellness.weightwatchers.com. Use Employer ID: 63390 and passcode: ww63390. (Please note these codes are updated from the previously published information). The unique ID for employees is the Lawson number. The unique ID for spouses/domestic partners is the Lawson number with the letter "A" added at the end.
If you are a current Weight Watcher member you need to first call and cancel your membership and switch over to the PSHMC benefit. Call Weight Watchers Wellness Hotline at 866.204.2885.
No reimbursement paperwork is needed. Eligible participants may use the Weight Watchers benefit OR the Fit, Trim and Slim program through HVI.
- Weight Watchers @ Work Schedule - Winter/Spring 2013
- Weight Watchers @ Work Schedule - Spring/Summer 2013
- Read registration instructions here
- Read Weight Watchers FAQs here
2013 Fitness Reimbursement Form - Now On-line!
- NEW! On-line fitness reimbursement submission! Request reimbursement and upload proof of payment. Click here to access the form. PLEASE NOTE: Reimbursements should be submitted after the conclusion of the three months' membership. All 2013 reimbursement requests must be received to Human Resources by January 31, 2014 with reimbursement paid out by March 31, 2014. See the News/Event tab for a full description of the 2013 Fitness Incentive Program. Members of the University Fitness Center do not need to complete a form.
- 2012 HVI Weight Management Program Reimbursement Form
- emPower- Register for programs offered by Penn State University's Health Matters program