Criminal Background Check Requirements
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) has recommended that medical schools conduct criminal background checks on their students entering their clinical years. In order to conform with the AAMC recommendations and existing hospital requirements, we have decided to required Criminal Background checks (CBC) for our accepted students, as well as our students entering their clinical years. Therefore, we are requiring our rising third year medical students to get Criminal Background checks. The following three clearances need to be done before June 1st:
- Pennsylvania Criminal History
- Child Abuse History Clearance
- Federal Criminal History/Fingerprinting
The following information outlines the costs, the deadlines, and the process for each CBC.
Criminal Background Checks for Clinical Students
- Pennsylvania Criminal History- Cost: $10
- Available on-line at: https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
- Register and submit payment (credit card), if you have "No Record", then all you need to do is print the "certification" page and bring that into Student Affairs. You will only receive something in the US mail if a criminal record is found.
- Students need to bring the 'results' into the Student Affairs office (C1802). The document will be scanned (by Amy Bockis or Sue Kelley) and the original returned to the student (REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR DOCUMENTATION FOR FUTURE REQUESTS).
- Child Abuse History Clearance - Cost: $10
- Form available on-line at: http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/ucmprd/groups/webcontent/documents/form/s_001762.pdf
- Complete form and mail in as instructed on application.
- The Department of Public Welfare will not accept a credit card or personal check for payment- you must submit with a money order of $10.00. The following are some (local) locations to get a money order, other than the US Post Office or Banks: Sheetz, Turkey Hill, Walmart, Weis.
- Helpful Tips:
- Remember to list your name as FIRST name then LAST name.
- Remember to use your complete legal address, so that your paperwork can be returned to you in a timely fashion. If you are in the process of moving, have it returned to your parent's address (c/o "Parent's Name").
- Under Purpose of Clearance- please make sure that Child Care is checked.
- Previous Addresses- if you only remember city and state, that is ok.
- Household members- must include those that are deceased- does NOT need to include college roommates, or if they were in a branch of the service - all the servicemen in their unit.
- Certificate returned to student in 3 to 5 weeks.
- Student needs to bring the Certificate into the Student Affairs office (C1802). Certificate will be scanned and original returned to student (REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR DOCUMENTATION FOR FUTURE REQUESTS).
- Federal Criminal History/Fingerprinting - Cost: $33
- Must pre-register at https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_dpw.htm
- You will need a credit card to process and pay for your registration.
- Helpful Tips:
- Remember, you have to register first. then call and make an appointment to be fingerprinted.
- Under "Reason Fingerprinted" choose "Employment with a significant likelihood of regular contact with children."
- Print the confirmation screen (this page lists your registration number). Bring this paper with you to actual Fingerprinting session.
- Must have appropriate ID (valid Driver's License or Passport) at time of collection- listed on website as "What to Bring".
- Fingerprinting takes approximately 20 minutes.
- Certificate will be returned to student.
- Student needs to bring the Certificate into the Student Affairs office (C1802). Certificate will be scanned by Amy Bockis or Sue Kelley and the original returned to student (REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR DOCUMENTATION FOR FUTURE REQUESTS).