Research Papers/Abstracts/Publications published by Neurology Residents at Penn State
During the three year training program in Neurology, each resident is required to participate in a research project. Ideally, the project should lead to a publication or presentation at a national meeting. Below is a list of publications that our residents have been credited with over the years. The faculty takes great pride in working with the residents on scholarly activity. Our residents are consistently acknowledged for their high quality research and presentations.
- Nord K, Kapoor P, Fisher J, Thomas G, Sundaram A, Scott K, Kothari MJ. False positive rate of thoracic outlet syndrome diagnostic maneuvers. Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 2008;48:67-74.
- Somyreddy K, Kothari MJ. Nitrous oxide induced subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord: a case report. Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 2008;48:225-8.
- Lowden MR; Scott K; Kothari MJ. Familial Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease presenting as epilepsia partialis continua. Epileptic Disord 2008;10(4):1-5.
- Choudhary AK, Jha B. Imaging Findings of Congenital Glaucoma in Opitz Syndrome. American Journal of Neuroradiology. 2008;29:1003-1005.
- Jha B, Choudhary AK. Unusual cause of back pain in an adolescent patient: A case report and natural history of aggressive vertebral hemangioma in children. Pain Physician. 2008;11:687-692.
- Jha B, Kothari M. Pearls and Oysters: Hyperdense or Pseudohyperdense MCA sign? Damocles sword? Neurology. 2009;72:e116-117.
- Lowden MR; Gill D. Teaching NeuroImage: Idiopathic hypertrophic spinal pachymeningitis. Neurology. 2009;72:e27.
- Lowden MR; Thomas GA. Teaching NeuroImage: Superficial Siderosis. Neurology. 2009;72:e39.
- Piquet AL, Kothari M, Ermak D, Ahmed A. Opsoclonus-Myoclonus Syndrome Post-Vaccination and Viral Illness. International Journal of Clinical Medicine 2012 July; 3(4): 304-306.
- Jaffry A, Ermak D, Ahmed A. Cavernous Sinus-Orbital Vein Thrombosis due to Infection and Thrombophilia. Journal of Clinical Gynecology and Obstetrics, October 2012: 1(4-5); 76-78.
- Reid DK, Clardy SL. Anti-NMDA-receptor encephalitis: unusual presentation of an uncommon condition. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2013 Jan; 84: 69-70. Published online first: 5 Sept 2012 doi:10.1136/jnnp-2012-302904
- Ermak DM, Bower DW, Wood J, Sinz EH, Kothari MJ. Incorporating simulation technology into a neurology clerkship. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2013;Aug;113(8):628-635. doi:10.7556/jaoa.2013.024.
- Davila, M "Unusual Neurological Complication of IL-2 Therapy-induced Vascular Leak Syndrome Poster presentation at the 2013 Pennsylvania Neurological Society meeting October 2013.
- Strauss, S, Lowden, MR; Ross, S "Ataxic Encephalopathy with partial ring enhancing lesions MS vis-a-vis ADEM. Pennsylvania Neurological Society meeting October 2013
- Hyperglycemia presenting as choreiform movements – A case report, D Kaur, Y Velazquez-Rodriguez, A Ahmed, Pennsylvania Neurological Society Annual Scientific Meeting, October 2013
- A Case of Severe Demyelinating Polyneuropathy, Y Velazquez-Rodriguez, D Kaur, J Campellone
36th Carrell-Krusen Neuromuscular Symposium, February 2014
- Patient Presenting with Paresthesias and Hemidiaphragmatic Paralysis, D Kaur, Y Velazquez-Rodriguez, Ch Spect, M Wicklund, 36th Carrell-Krusen Neuromuscular Symposium, February 2014
- When the Typical Becomes Atypical: Anti-Ri Antibody Associated Paraneoplastic Syndrome without Opsoclonus-Myoclonus. Y Velazquez-Rodriguez, D Kaur, A Ahmed, American Academy of Neurology 66th Annual Meeting, April 2014
- A case of subacute progressive weakness and paresthesias of the distal lower extremities following a brief diarrheal episode in a yoga instructor. D Kaur, Y Velazquez-Rodriguez, A Ahmed. American Academy of Neurology 66th Annual Meeting, April 2014
- Assessing whether effective communication between patients and ordering physician for electrodiagnostic studies improves the quality the of the test, D Kaur, Y Velazquez-Rodriguez, A Ahmed, American Academy of Neurology 66th Annual Meeting, April 2014
- Haija A and Freedman E. Lyme disease or giant cell arteritis? American College of Physicians National Meeting, Washington, D.C., May 2008
- Jha B, Choudhary AK, Nguyen D. Back and Neck Pain in Children: A Diagnostic Approach Based on the Anatomical Structure Involved. RSNA Nov 2008. Chicago. Educational exhibit.
- Burke S and Kunselman MA. What percentage of "Brain Attacks" have an acute imageable ischemic stroke? Can we predict who won't? Resident/Fellow Research Day, Penn State Hershey. March 2010.
- Popeliansky EA. Retrospective analysis of the effect of hormonal contraception on age of onset of relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis. Resident/Fellow Research Day, Penn State Hershey. March 2010.
- Steadham RM. Evaluation of the accuracy of the implementation of a brain attack protocol in the determination of acute stroke & transient ischemic attack diagnoses. Resident/Fellow Research Day, Penn State Hershey. March 2010.
- Clardy SL, Mitchell RM, Stephens HE, Simmons Z and Connor JR. Clinically Useful Plasma Biomarkers in ALS. American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada. April 2010.
- Kaur D. Primary angiitis of the central nervous system. Pennsylvania Neurological Society Meeting, Abington, PA, October 2010.
- Emmady PD, Acharya VJ, Acharya JN. "Detection and clinical outcome of status epilepticus in patients continuous EEG monitoring". Annual meeting of American Epilepsy Society, San Antonio, Dec 2010.
- Emmady PD, Gill D. "Characterizing radiology reports in patients with Alzheimer's disease". American Society for Experimental NeuroTherapeutics, Bethesda, MD.
- Emmady PD, Acharya VJ, Acharya JN. "Diagnostic utility of Neuroimaging in status epilepticus in patients undergoing continuous EEG study". Annual meeting of American Society of Neuroimaging, Fort Myers, Jan 2011
- Freedman E, Gill D, and Giampetro D. "Response to Epidural Steroid Injections in Patients with Radiculopathies Diagnosed with or without EMG". Resident/Fellow Research Day, Penn State Hershey. March 2011
- Emmady PD, Thamburaj K. "An alternate role for diffusion sequence to identify intramural clot of acute cranio-cervical dissections". Annual meeting of American Academy of Neurology, Hawaii, April 2011.
- McDougall, Leslie; Lowden MR. Probable Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease after ingestion of bovine brain. AAN 64th annual meeting New Orleans April 2012.
- Reid DK, McDougall L. "Paraneoplastic encephalitis secondary to NMDA receptor antibodies and Ovarian Dermoid Cyst", Pennsylvania Neurological Society Annual Meeting, September 2012
- Ermak D, Kanekar S, Specht C, Wojnar M, Lowden MR. Looks like a Stroke, Acts like a Stroke, but It's More Than a Stroke: A Case of Cerebral Mucormycosis in a Patient with CLL (P06.182). Neurology. 2013;80 (AAN Meeting Abstracts 1):P06.182.
- Bains S, Reid D "Unusual Presentation of Acute Carbon Monoxide Poisoning". American Neuropsychiatric Association, February 2014.
- Clardy SL, Connor JR, and Beard JL (2009). The Iron Metabolic System. In: Restless Legs Syndrome. Hening WA, Allen R, Chokroverty S, and Earley C (eds). Burlington: Elsevier, 2009.