Penn State Hershey Neuroscience Institute
Penn State Hershey Neuroscience Institute fosters collaboration among the neuroscience-related departments and divisions within Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine.
Our mission is to:
- Assure excellence in basic and clinical research studies that increase our understanding of the normal and diseased brain.
- Promote the translation of research findings into new treatments for neurological disease.
- Improve the care of patients with neurological and neurobehavioral diseases.
- Provide a rich intellectual environment that enhances the educational experience in all neuroscience disciplines.
Harbaugh Named SNS President-Elect
Dr. Robert Harbaugh, professor and chair of the Penn State Hershey Department of Neurosurgery and director of the Penn State Hershey Neuroscience Institute, has been chosen as president-elect of the Society of Neurological Surgeons (SNS). The SNS is the oldest neurological society in the world and includes leaders in neurosurgical residency education. Harbaugh also serves as president of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and as vice-chair of the American Board of Neurological Surgery. http://www.societyns.org/society/officers.html
Morrison receives Distinguished Achievement Award from AHA
Kathy Morrison, stroke program manager at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, has been presented with the American Heart Association, Great Rivers Affiliate 2014 Distinguished Achievement Award. More >>
- Medical Center receives national recognition for Advanced Stroke Care
- Penn State Hershey Neuroscience Institute Specialists named in Best Doctors® in America.
- Congratulations to graduate students Ahmed Alkhateeb (Ph.D. Program, Cell & Molecular Biology), Fatima Ali-Rahmani (Ph.D. Program, Molecular Medicine), and Cody Weston (M.D./Ph.D. Program, Neuroscience) on being awarded the Graduate Alumni Endowed Scholarship. Ali-Rahmani also received an alumni scholarship from the class of 1971. Earlier in 2012, Alkhateeb also received the Outstanding Dissertation award in Life Sciences - a Penn State wide competition. These awards, coupled with the CTSA scholarship that Xiaowei (Bill) Su won earlier in the year, represent the outstanding achievements of our neuroscience graduate students.
Deep Brain Stimulation
Experts and patients discuss brain tumor diagnosis, treatment and recovery
Stroke survivor stories
Patients and physicians discuss the latest treatments of back pain and spinal injuries
Discovering treatment options for essential tremor
Experts and patients discuss the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of carotid artery disease
Restless legs syndrome
- Trauma-scenario provides hands-on training for Penn State Mont Alto students Penn State Mont Alto held its sixth annual trauma-scenario training exercise for forest technology and nursing students on May 1. During the event, students worked with multiple agencies to rescue injured individuals who were in tree harvesting accidents in the forest near the campus.More...
- Penn State World Campus graduates first class in online nursing master’s degree The first class from Penn State’s online master of science in nursing degree will graduate May 10. “These are very high-quality students who want to be in jobs that will help train a new generation of nurses,” said Lisa Kitko, an assistant professor of nursing at Penn State. “That really speaks to their commitment to the profession and to nursing.”More...
- Students, volunteers join together to ‘Kiss Hershey Back’ A group of first-year Penn State College of Medicine students led the eighth annual Kiss Hershey Back Derry Township cleanup day on Saturday, May 2.More...
- Strucko to serve as top financial officer for College of Medicine Eric Strucko has been named Penn State’s associate vice president for finance and business, and controller for Penn State College of Medicine. He will replace Wayne Zolko, who intends to retire June 30 after 31 years of service to Penn State, the College of Medicine and Penn State Hershey Medical Center.More...