2015 Main Residency Match
The Penn State Neurosurgery Residency Program participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) and matches two residents per year as a categorical training program.
Concurrent with participating in the NRMP, neurological surgery programs use the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). All applications are taken through ERAS only. We do not accept paper applications. All applications are considered without regard to race, religion, gender, or national origin.
Penn State Hershey Neurosurgery Interview Dates for the 2014 Match:
- October 31, 2014
- November 7, 2014
- December 19, 2014
Deadline for Applications for the 2014 Match:
- October 15, 2014
Steps for a successful Match:
- Register with the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). All our first-year residency positions are filled through the NRMP.
- Register with the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). All applicants to our residency program must come through ERAS.
- Application Deadline: Due to the volume of applications we receive and the time constraints of individual interviews, we may not consider applications received after October 15.
- A completed application is required for review.
The following items must be included in your ERAS application:
- Personal statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letters of recommendation: At least three (3) letters of recommendation from faculty members with whom you have worked and at least one (1) from a neurosurgeon. We will not review more than four (4) letters of recommendation. We do not require a letter from your department chairman.
- Dean's letter
- Medical school transcripts
- USMLE Step 1/COMLEX 1 is required to be selected for an interview.
- For International Medical Graduate students, ECFMG certification is required as a part of your application. Reminder, Penn State Hershey will only accept/sponsor a J-1 visa.
- US clinical experience is not required; however, neurosurgery electives and/or experience are preferred
Interviews are by invitation only on the specific days listed above. Once we have reviewed your completed ERAS file we will invite qualified applicants for an interview with faculty. It would be advisable to respond to the invitation for an interview as quickly as possible, as the interview dates are usually booked quickly.
We are fortunate enough to receive many applications. Therefore, we urge you to submit your application materials as soon as you possibly can! Applications must be received by the ERAS post office no later than October 15.
Interviews will be conducted on Fridays with a dinner with our current residents on the preceding Thursday evening. Interviews will include a tour of the hospital campus and breakfast and lunch. Your day will begin at approximately 7:00 a.m. and will conclude by approximately 3:30 p.m. depending on the number of candidates attending on any particular interview date.
The program does not pay for your lodging. We do, however, have a relationship with the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott located on Areba Avenue in Hershey. The Fairfield offers a very reasonable rate specifically for our candidates. The location is minutes from the hospital and the Fairfield shuttle service is available upon request from the Harrisburg International Airport. Shuttle services have also been pre-arranged with the Fairfield to deliver you to all interview activities on time and without worry about finding your way or finding parking. Just sit back and relax.