Penn State Hershey Nursing
Welcome to Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, central Pennsylvania's only academic, Level I regional trauma center, and quaternary care provider.
Our prestigious recognition as a Magnet accredited hospital is an honor that reaffirms the value of the hard work and dedication our nurses exhibit everyday.
We are delighted to be the home for more than 2,200 professional nurses. Our nurses have unparalleled opportunities for professional development and career advancement to positions in nursing leadership, education, research, care coordination, and many more. Learn more >>
The DAISY award is an award recognizing nurses for delivering skillful, compassionate care. DAISY is an acronym for Diseases Attacking the Immune System. The award was created in memory of Patrick Barnes who died at the age of 33 of complications of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP). The DAISY Foundation was established by Patrick's family to keep his spirit alive. The primary mission of the DAISY Foundation is to express profound gratitude to nurses for the work they do for patients and their families every day.
Click here to nominate one of our staff members and for additional information regarding this award.
The Heart and Vascular Progressive Care Unit (HVPCU) received a gold-level Beacon Award for Excellence Award from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN)
The Beacon Award for Excellence recognizes unit caregivers who successfully improve patient outcomes and align practices with AACN's six Healthy Work Environment Standards. Units that achieve this three-year, three-level award with gold, silver or bronze designations meet national criteria consistent with Magnet Recognition, the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award and the National Quality Healthcare Award. The HVPCU earned a gold award by meeting the following evidence-based Beacon Award for Excellence criteria:
- Leadership Structures and Systems
- Appropriate Staffing and Staff Engagement
- Effective Communication, Knowledge Management, Learning and Development
- Evidence-Based Practice and Processes
- Outcome Measurement
Under the guidance of the nursing leadership team, the HVPCU began its Beacon journey in October, 2014 and followed the AACN's theme "Focus the Flame" as its mantra. A group of clinical nurses represented the core Beacon writing team which included Natalie Asper, Monet Carpenter, Sara Schlotthauer, Jackie Ebersole and Becky Hornberger. The group initially met and developed a timeline, identified deliverables and delineated Beacon category responsibilities. The Beacon writing team sought clinical nurses input regarding structure and processes implemented in the HVPCU leading to improved patient outcomes. Additionally members of the interprofessional team and team accomplishments were highlight in the document. Individuals drafted assigned Beacon documents then group editing sessions were scheduled to finalize the document as a team. The unit's efforts to achieve the gold award are a testament to the focused flame that has been ignited and maintained in the HVPCU. The Beacon journey was an inspiring, professionally motivating and rewarding experience for all involved.
The AACN will honor the HVPCU with an announcement in AACN Bold Voices, a monthly member magazine distributed to more than 100,000 acute and critical care nurses nationwide. AACN also honors awardees at the National Teaching Institute & Critical Care Exposition (NTI), the world's largest educational conference and trade show for nurses who care for acutely and critically ill patients and their families.
The HVPCU joins the MICU for earning a Gold Beacon Award for Excellence. The MICU was designated in early 2014.
- Breast Center and Child Life Program benefit from fundraising efforts Two recent events raised a combined total of nearly $16,000 for entities at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.More...
- Medical Center upgrades to newest technology in stereotactic radiosurgery The team at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center has upgraded to the newest technology in cranial radiosurgery, enhancing its abilities to target brain tumors and functional disorders.More...
- Pa. health secretary launches flu vaccination campaign at Hershey Medical Center Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center is partnering with the Pennsylvania Department of Health to launch the 2016 “Stopping the Flu Starts with You” campaign.More...
- Medical Center reaccredited as Level I pediatric trauma center Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center has been reaccredited as a Level I pediatric trauma center – the highest level of certification.More...