Penn State Hershey Leadership Academy
Interdisciplinary Leadership Development for Academic Health Center Professionals
Developed in partnership with the Penn State Smeal College of Business and Penn State Executive Programs, the Penn State Hershey Leadership Academy provides attendees (physicians, scientists, nurses, and administrators) with the skills required to excel in strategic leadership and management roles in academic health centers (AHC) and health care organizations.
The program is intended for faculty and staff who have interest in leadership positions within their institution, have previous leadership experiences, and have the support of their supervisors or chairs. Priority will be given to faculty and staff at mid-career, or higher level staff with administrative or leadership responsibilities.
Faculty will be identified by Penn State's Smeal College of Business and Penn State Executive Programs based on the final curriculum. Faculty will be recognized nationally in their respective fields and also be experienced educators with real world experience. The Penn State Executive Programs team (http://www.smeal.psu.edu/psep) offers decades of combined experience in helping clients from more than 150 companies build the organizational and leadership capabilities to deal with today's most pressing business challenges.
Program Location and Organization
Classes are scheduled Monday through Friday, October 13-17, 2014 and will be held at the University Conference Center on the campus of Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033. Classes will begin promptly at 8:00 a.m. and finish at 5:00 p.m. Some evening activities will be included. Completion of team projects will be a requirement. Participants are expected to "leave pagers at the door" and remain free of other responsibilities so that full attention can be devoted to coursework and the educational experience.
Continuing Education Credit
Penn State College of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. This live activity is approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)tm.
Deadline for on-line application process is July 18, 2014. Click here to access application.
Support letter from chair or supervisor must be submitted separately by July 18, 2014.
- Letters should be address to:
Ann Ouyang, M.D.
Associate Dean for Faculty and Professional Development
Penn State College of Medicine
500 University Drive, PO Box 850
Mail Code: H117
Hershey, PA 17033
- Signed letters can be mailed to MC-H117 or submitted electronically to email@example.com.
The overarching goal of the Penn State Hershey Leadership Academy is to expand the skills of its participants to lead their health care organization into the future. Specifically, the goals of the program are to:
- Educate participants about the factors affecting health care delivery, health related research, and education.
- Provide skills to understand the economics and politics of health care delivery as well as the finances of an academic health center and funding environment.
- Develop the leadership and negotiation skills needed to navigate the institution change and meet challenges.
- Establish a multidisciplinary network of AHC leaders.
Upon completion, participants will have gained:
- An understanding of strategic leadership
- Improved ability to build and lead effective teams
- Improved negotiation and conflict management skills
- Enhanced business literacy in the areas of finance, research, and education funding
- Knowledge of the overall interaction of the key components of an integrated health care system
The curriculum is intended to enhance the critical skill sets of participants necessary to lead and make a difference within AHC's. The course content is focused on addressing leadership challenges and opportunities within the integrated, multi-mission structure of academic health centers. Topics may include:
- Understanding the changing health care landscape
- Understanding research and education funding challenges
- Strategic leadership: managing the cycles of change
- Building your executive presence
- Finance: closing the gap between perceptions and performance
- Enhancing operational effectiveness within an academic health center
- Building teams
- Clear and effective communication
Note: Team projects applied to contemporary organizational challenges of academic health centers will be part of the curriculum.
The program fee covers tuition, lunches, coffee breaks, and teaching materials. Cancellations must be made in writing and received before August 15, 2014. If a cancellation is received between August 15, 2014 and September 1, 2014, there will be a forfeit of 50% of the program fee. Cancellations after September 1, 2014 will result in 100% forfeiture of the program fee. Click here for a pdf of the program brochure.
- Penn State Hershey faculty and staff $3,250
- Employees of Penn State Hershey affiliate hospitals and providers $4,000
Office of Faculty and Professional Development
Penn State College of Medicine
500 University Drive, H117
P.O. Box 850
Hershey, PA 17033