The head and neck cancer team leads in the diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of both benign and malignant diseases of the head and neck region. Our team employs a multidisciplinary approach to diagnose and treat all types and stages of cancers that occur in the head and neck region, including:
- Oral cancer (lip, mouth, tongue, palate)
- Oropharyngeal cancer (tonsil, tongue base, soft palate) - including Davinci Robotic Surgery (TORS)
- Laryngeal cancer (voice box)
- Hypopharyngeal cancer (throat and swallowing passage cancer)
- Thyroid cancer and tumors
- Parathyroid disease (Hyperparathyroidism) - including Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroidectomy
- Salivary gland tumors
- Cutaneous malignancies of the head and neck
Patients are thoroughly evaluated by our team of physicians and caregivers in order to make the most accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. We provide patients with the information needed to understand their disease and decide on the best treatment plan for them. Treatments may include surgery, radiation, and/or chemotherapy as well as medical therapy. Throughout treatment, we emphasize ongoing communication with patients, families, and referring physicians.
Clinical Corner: What's New in the Treatment of Meniere's Disease?
Meniere's disease does not have a definitive cure but there are treatment options to control the symptoms depending on the stage of the disease. Dietary and lifestyle changes are the first step of the treatment and work very well for the majority of patients with Meniere's disease. Because we believe there is an overlap between Meniere's disease and migraine, we advise patients to refrain from eating foods that have been shown to trigger migraine attacks. Learn more about about new treatments for this disease.
Our goal is to restore our patients and their families to wholeness, both emotionally and physically, while helping them live with the diagnosis of cancer. We encourage you to connect with other cancer patients, caregivers, family and friends at any of our support groups. Share your experiences with others living with cancer, and hear practical, up-to-date information from our cancer care teams, including what to expect during treatment, how to manage treatment side effects, and more. Click here for a complete list of support groups.
A safer and less invasive approach to surgically treat hyperparathyroidism
A less invasive treatment option
- The Medical Minute: Research continues improving the odds for kids with cancer The American Cancer Society reports one in every 285 children younger than 20 will be diagnosed with cancer. That makes childhood cancer relatively rare. Still, nearly 16,000 new cases were anticipated for 2014 resulting in 1,900 to 2,000 deaths. And for most parents, it’s a worst-case scenario. Through research, the outlook for children with cancer is far better today than it’s ever been, yet much more remains to be done.More...
- New online farmers market available for Penn State Hershey employees The Farmers Market in Hershey is partnering with Healthy Living Kitchen to enable Medical Center and College of Medicine employees to purchase market products online and pick them up more conveniently on campus.More...
- Miracle Marathon to kick off on Sept. 16 The Miracle Marathon wellness challenge will take place from Sept. 16 through Oct. 12. Participants move at their own pace and on their own time -- just one mile every day for 27 days, with proceeds from the event to benefit Children’s Miracle Network at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital.More...
- Expanded Geriatric Clinic hours provide more appointment choices The Geriatric Clinic at 35 Hope Drive on the Penn State Hershey campus now has expanded hours to include Mondays as well as Tuesday afternoon appointments.More...