April 1 - Penn State College of Medicine's 4th Year Elective Catalog is available in VSAS. Earliest date visiting students can apply to Penn State College of Medicine.
May 1 - Earliest Date notifications are sent to visiting students through VSAS. Penn State medical students are given priority in scheduling elective rotations. Once the placement of our students is complete, we begin to notify visiting students of application decisions on a block-by-block basis.
Applications are made through the individual department. Below is a list of the documentation needed before your application can be processed. Please contact Malissa Wagner, Department of Pathology Coordinator for Visiting Medical Students, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-531-1305to check on the availability of the pre-determined block dates PRIOR to submitting your elective application. Since it is the Penn State College of Medicine's policy to give our students the first opportunity to add the course, we cannot confirm an available spot until the drop/add deadline date for each rotation slot, which is always 8 weeks prior to the start date of the teaching block rotation.
Upon confirmation, please send all documentation to Malissa Wagner.
Requirements for the Visiting Medical Student Application
- A completed Visiting Medical Student application with Dean's Signature or authorized school official signature and school seal [Elective Application Form].
- A $75.00 non-refundable processing fee for each four-week elective, made payable to Penn State University. Payment of the application fee must accompany the Visiting Medical Student application.
- Verification of personal health and general liability insurance. General liability limits must be at least $1 million per occurrence/$3 million aggregate.
- Documented proof of required immunizations. Must use our immunization form [Student Health Form].
- An official transcript including core clinical clerkship grades.
- A copy of USMLE Step 1 Examination or COMLEX results.
- Documentation of Universal Precautions training (verified by a statement from the parent medical school).
- Verification of Criminal Background Check will include State Criminal History Record where student resides, Child Abuse History Clearance, and Federal Criminal History/Fingerprinting Clearance.
Visiting medical students are responsible for obtaining their own housing, food and transportation. For further information, you may contact our campus housing office at 717-531-8210 or www.pennstatehershey.org/housing.
For additional information about our Visiting Student Program at Penn State College of Medicine, please see http://www.pennstatehershey.org/web/md/home/visiting.