Welcome to Penn State Hershey Pathology
The Department of Pathology is committed to excellence in patient care, education, and translational and basic research, and plays a vital and integral role in the medical center’s multifaceted missions. Through provision of high quality diagnostic services and the practice of laboratory medicine, the Department supports the wide range of medical care provided at the institution. Training and developing the next generation of healthcare providers, biomedical scientists, and our workforce is given high priority through the creation of educational experiences that introduce recent advances in medical and scientific knowledge into learning, and employ modern instructional techniques. Discovery and application of new information and technologies is fostered by an environment that encourages analytical thought and investigation, laboratory facilities that provide technical expertise to support research, and a wealth of clinical materials that form a rich substrate for translational investigations. In each component of its mission, the Department strives to create an atmosphere that promotes professional development and personal growth.
- American Association of Blood Banks (AABB)
- American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI)
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) - Main Laboratory
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) - POCT
- College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT)
- The Joint Commission (TJC)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Inspections of Registered Labs
- Pennsylvania Department of Health (PA DOH) - Main Laboratory
- Pennsylvania Department of Health (PA DOH) - POCT
- Children decorate flags for charity motorcycle ride A group of motorcycle riders made a special delivery to Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital on July 31. They brought large flags to be decorated by young patients.More...
- White Coat ceremony welcomes the medical student class of 2019 Members of this year’s entering medical student class of 2019 took their first step on their journey to becoming a physician on July 31 at Penn State College of Medicine’s 20th anniversary of the White Coat Ceremony.More...
- Penn State Hershey honored with two statewide achievement awards Penn State Hershey Medical Center is one of just nine hospitals statewide to be recognized through the Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania’s 2015 Achievement Awards program. The program is designed to honor hospitals and health systems for their innovation, creativity and commitment to patient care.More...
- Van Scoy named Fellow, will advance end of life planning research Dr. Lauren Van Scoy, assistant professor of medicine and humanities, has been named a Parker B. Francis Fellow. She will receive $156,000 over three years for her research project “Evaluating the impact of a conversation game on advance care planning activities.”More...