Welcome to Penn State Hershey Pathology
The Department of Pathology is committed to excellence in patient care, education, and translational and basic research, and plays a vital and integral role in the medical center’s multifaceted missions. Through provision of high quality diagnostic services and the practice of laboratory medicine, the Department supports the wide range of medical care provided at the institution. Training and developing the next generation of healthcare providers, biomedical scientists, and our workforce is given high priority through the creation of educational experiences that introduce recent advances in medical and scientific knowledge into learning, and employ modern instructional techniques. Discovery and application of new information and technologies is fostered by an environment that encourages analytical thought and investigation, laboratory facilities that provide technical expertise to support research, and a wealth of clinical materials that form a rich substrate for translational investigations. In each component of its mission, the Department strives to create an atmosphere that promotes professional development and personal growth.
- American Association of Blood Banks (AABB)
- American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI)
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) - Main Laboratory
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) - POCT
- College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT)
- The Joint Commission (TJC)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Inspections of Registered Labs
- Pennsylvania Department of Health (PA DOH) - Main Laboratory
- Pennsylvania Department of Health (PA DOH) - POCT
- The Medical Minute: Knowing when infant tummy troubles may be serious Spitting up and occasional constipation are unfortunate -- yet normal -- facts of life for most infants. While those symptoms are seldom cause for concern, there are several more serious -- albeit rare -- warning signs that can present in the first hours and days of life that can indicate any of a number of congenital conditions.More...
- Center for the Protection of Children receives $6K donation Representatives from Metro Bank visited the Penn State Hershey Center for the Protection of Children on May 7 to deliver a check representing proceeds from a recent Dress-Down Day Friday fundraising campaign.More...
- Comics and Medicine: Helping med students form their professional identities Reading and creating health-themed comics helps medical students transition from laypersons to physicians, according to a first-of-its-kind analysis at Penn State College of Medicine.More...
- Sixth annual Scarnati/Cawley 100 raises $27K for Hummingbird Program Shelly Brown, major staff administrator, and Maria Wilhelm, executive assistant, from Sen. Joe Scarnati’s office visited Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital recently to present a check for $27,904.79 to the Hummingbird Program. The money was raised through the sixth annual Scarnati/Cawley 100.More...