Pediatric Injury Prevention Program
Car Seat Safety
Need help installing your child's car seat?
The Pediatric Trauma Injury Prevention Program is able to assist you with installation and education. Click on the link "Pediatric Safety" located on the left of this page and choose the "Child Passenger Safety" tab. You'll find basic installation videos and more information about our car seat inspection stations.
Penn State Hershey Pediatric Injury Prevention Program and Safe Kids Dauphin County, led by the Penn State Children's Hospital, are dedicated to preventing the number and severity of childhood injuries through education and advocacy. We are funded in part through the Children's Miracle Network. Our programs are founded on the theory that most injuries are preventable and we teach how to be safe at home, at play, and on the way.
The mission of Penn State Hershey Pediatric Injury Prevention Program and the Safe Kids Dauphin County Coalition is to promote the prevention of childhood injuries through education, networking. and advocacy.
Penn State Children's Hospital
Pediatric Injury Prevention Program, H113
500 University Drive
Hershey, PA 17033
phone: 717-531-SAFE (7233)
fax: 717- 531-3784
The Safe Kids Dauphin County Coalition is comprised of organizations in and around Dauphin County committed to improving the welfare and safety of children in our community. The members and partners of the Safe Kids Dauphin County Coalition include:
- American Trauma Society
- Babylove, Hamilton Health Center
- Capital Area Head Start
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
- Hamilton Health Center
- Lower Paxton Police Department
- Maternal Assistance Program, Holy Spirit Hospital
- Milton Hershey School
- Morning Star Pregnancy Services
- Penn State Hershey Life Lion EMS
- Pennsylvania Department of Health
- REDDCO Inc.
- Safe Kids Pennsylvania Coalition
- South Central Pennsylvania Highway Safety
- Sutliff Autogroup
- Women, Infants, and Children
- YWCA of Greater Harrisburg
The mission of Penn State Hershey Injury Prevention Program and the Safe Kids Dauphin County Coalition is to promote the prevention of childhood injuries through education, networking and advocacy.
- To work with community partners to reduce the risk of injury to children in central Pennsylvania
- To educate parents and caregivers to provide a safe environment for children
- To increase community awareness that injuries can be prevented
- To work for changes in laws, policies, and products to decrease causes of injuries
The work of Penn State Hershey Pediatric Injury Prevention Program is funded by two non-profit organizations - the Children's Miracle Network and Safe Kids Worldwide. Donations from the Dauphin County community enable us to provide child restraints to local low-income families who otherwise might not travel safely in a car. Please consider making a donation to help us continue our important work. Checks may be written to PSU/Injury Prevention Program. Donations may be sent directly to:
Penn State Hershey Pediatric Injury Prevention Program
500 University Drive, H113
P.O. Box 850
Hershey, PA 17033
Child Safety Seat Inspection Station
Local data shows that about 80% of child restraints, or car seats, are not properly installed in the car. A correctly installed child restraint can greatly reduce the risk of injury, or even death, in a crash. Penn State Hershey Pediatric Injury Prevention Prorgram operates three permanent inspection stations on Tuesday or Thursday afternoons.
To schedule an appointment, please call 717-531-SAFE (7233).
Schedule an educational safety event for your school or community event. We can do presentations on a variety of safety and injury prevention topics.
For more information call Penn State Hershey Pediatric Injury Prevention Program at 717-531-SAFE (7233).
- General Injury Prevention
- Motor Vehicle and Child Passenger Safety
- Home Safety
- Water/Boating Safety