Welcome to Penn State Hershey Pediatric Weight Management
The Pediatric Weight Loss Program is a multi-disciplinary weight management program designed by a physician and registered dietitian to meet the specific needs of overweight children and teens.
- Excessive weight is the most prevalent nutritional disease among children and adolescents in the United States.
- Overweight adolescents have a 70-80% chance of becoming overweight adults. More people are now overweight than they were 15 years ago.
- Obesity is defined as a generalized accumulation of body fat. It is determined by measuring both height and weight of the child to calculate a Body Mass Index (BMI). A BMI percentile compares a child's BMI to his/her peers.
- A child or adolescent is considered obese if she or he is significantly over the ideal weight for the child’s height (BMI > 95th percentile).
- Availability of high-calorie snack foods
- Parent’s attitudes towards food
- Increase in consumption of fast foods
- Using food as a reward or to change behaviors
- Lack of regular activity or exercise
- Increase in television watching or computer/video game
- Not knowing how to eat healthy
- Heredity (the size of parents and other family members)
- Screening questions fail to identify teens at risk for hearing loss Subjective screening questions do not reliably identify teenagers who are at risk for hearing loss, according to researchers at Penn State College of Medicine. The results suggest that objective hearing tests should be refined for this age group to replace screening questions.More...
- The Medical Minute: Enterovirus D68 expected to fade away into winter Late every summer and into every fall, enteroviruses bring a host of unpleasant ailments. This year, Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) has been making headlines for its potentially severe symptoms in children, causing some alarm among parents.More...
- Mets earns top educator honors with SEA/Duke Award Dr. Berend Mets, Eric A. Walker Professor and chairman of anesthesiology at Penn State Hershey, has earned top educator honors by receiving the Society for Education in Anesthesia SEA/Duke Award.More...
- Drop Your Drawers celebrates life-changing weight loss Penn State Hershey Surgical Weight Loss held its annual Fall Social and Drop Your Drawers event Oct. 16. Patients and guests enjoyed an evening celebrating the life-changing outcomes that surgical weight loss procedures can help to facilitate.More...