Welcome to Penn State Hershey Psychiatry Research
A strong commitment for research and scholarship was established in our Department of Psychiatry at its inception in 1971 and continues today. The early foundation of this commitment to research was based on the relocation in 1971 of the Sleep Research & Treatment Center, which was originally established in 1963 at UCLA.
Currently the research efforts within our Department of Psychiatry cover a wide range of topics reflecting the diversity of our faculty. These research topics include:
- Adult (mood disorders, suicide, delirium, genetic mechanisms and health services);
- Child (Autism, anxiety, mood disorders, eating disorders, ADHD, assessment, neuropsychological functioning and genetic mechanisms);
- Behavioral Neuroimaging (neuroimaging biomarkers for diagnosis and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders eg, Autism, eating disorders and substance abuse);
- Molecular Neuropharmacology (molecular mechanisms involved in activation and regulation of receptors for neurotransmitters);
- Sleep Research & Treatment Center (epidemiology of sleep and sleep disorders, neuro-endocrine, hormonal, metabolic and epigenetic mechanisms of sleep disorders as well as animal models, assessment of pharmacologic and cognitive behavioral treatment).
- Substance Abuse (Multidisciplinary paradigm assessing and guiding addiction treatment)
Graduate fellowship training is available within some of the programs. In addition, resident and fellow research, which is required for completion, is strongly supported through both research electives and the recently developed resident research track. Finally, our faculty actively supports medical student research, which is also a requirement for graduation from our institution.
- The Medical Minute: Enterovirus D68 expected to fade away into winter Late every summer and into every fall, enteroviruses bring a host of unpleasant ailments. This year, Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) has been making headlines for its potentially severe symptoms in children, causing some alarm among parents.More...
- Mets earns top educator honors with SEA/Duke Award Dr. Berend Mets, Eric A. Walker Professor and chairman of anesthesiology at Penn State Hershey, has earned top educator honors by receiving the Society for Education in Anesthesia SEA/Duke Award.More...
- Drop Your Drawers celebrates life-changing weight loss Penn State Hershey Surgical Weight Loss held its annual Fall Social and Drop Your Drawers event Oct. 16. Patients and guests enjoyed an evening celebrating the life-changing outcomes that surgical weight loss procedures can help to facilitate.More...
- Lecture to focus on understanding safety, quality at the unit level Jan Jacobs, safety consultant with Ascension, will present “Safety and Quality at the Unit Level” at noon Friday, Oct. 24, in Lecture Room D on the Penn State Hershey campus. Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to attend this lecture being held in conjunction with Healthcare Quality Week (Oct. 19 to 25).More...