Penn State Hershey Psychiatry Research
A strong commitment for research and scholarship was established in our Department of Psychiatry at its inception in 1971 and continues today. The early foundation of this commitment to research was based on the relocation in 1971 of the Sleep Research & Treatment Center, which was originally established in 1963 at UCLA.
Currently the research efforts within our Department of Psychiatry cover a wide range of topics reflecting the diversity of our faculty. These research topics include:
- Adult (mood disorders, suicide, delirium, genetic mechanisms and health services);
- Child (Autism, anxiety, mood disorders, eating disorders, ADHD, assessment, neuropsychological functioning and genetic mechanisms);
- Behavioral Neuroimaging (neuroimaging biomarkers for diagnosis and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders eg, Autism, eating disorders and substance abuse);
- Molecular Neuropharmacology (molecular mechanisms involved in activation and regulation of receptors for neurotransmitters);
- Sleep Research & Treatment Center (epidemiology of sleep and sleep disorders, neuro-endocrine, hormonal, metabolic and epigenetic mechanisms of sleep disorders as well as animal models, assessment of pharmacologic and cognitive behavioral treatment).
- Substance Abuse (Multidisciplinary paradigm assessing and guiding addiction treatment)
Graduate fellowship training is available within some of the programs. In addition, resident and fellow research, which is required for completion, is strongly supported through both research electives and the recently developed resident research track. Finally, our faculty actively supports medical student research, which is also a requirement for graduation from our institution.
- Conquer Run raises $132,665 for Four Diamonds The Conquer Run, a competitive 5K run and fun walk through Hersheypark, raised more than $132,665 for Four Diamonds at Penn State Children’s Hospital and the fight against childhood cancer. The event, which was held Sept. 24, drew more than 1,000 participants.More...
- Streaming address for Penn State Town Hall announced The University is hosting a Town Hall from 3-5 p.m. Sept. 28 in the Pavilion Theatre at University Park. The meeting will be livestreamed for faculty and staff members at all Penn State campuses to view.More...
- 24 Alumni Fellows recognized for distinguished careers The Penn State Alumni Association will recognize 24 graduates in October with the lifelong title of Alumni Fellow, the highest award given by the Alumni Association.More...
- Espenshade wins volunteer services award Sue Espenshade, manager of volunteer services at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, has been presented with the 2016 Evelyn Burston Award.More...