Penn State Hershey Radiology
The Department of Radiology occupies much of the ground floor, main hospital, and has imaging sites at 30 Hope Drive (CT, MRI and Breast Imaging) and 35 Hope Drive (Cherry Drive Outpatient Building for Ultrasound and Xray Imaging) on campus. Other imaging locations include the Penn State Health Groups sites at Fishburn Road, Hershey, Nyes Road, Harrisburg and in Camp Hill, PA. We have over 370 employees including 61 faculty and 30 Radiology residents. An all digital department, we provide immediate image availability at the point of patient care at all locations within the network.
The Department of Radiology provides interdependent clinical care, education and research to support the College of Medicine missions at Penn State.
Our missions include the provision of the highest quality image acquisition and interpretation services and image guided interventional and therapeutic services to patients receiving care at Penn State Hershey Medical Center and to all the people of central Pennsylvania.
Education of medical students, residents and fellows has long been the central focus of the department, occurring during clinical care, in the lecture hall and in the research laboratory.
The advancement of imaging science through basic, translational and clinical research is the third arm of our mission and, is the future of our profession.
Departmental Strategic Goals
GOAL: Establish mission based management at a Divisional level:
- Establish a forum for frequent inter-Divisional communication
- Integrate and incent research efforts at the Division level
- Promote faculty development and mentoring
- Develop and implement educational curricula focused on objective outcomes measures
- Actively participate in development of operational and capital equipment budgets
- Develop entrepreneurial endeavors that leverage divisional strengths and needs
GOAL: Provide an infrastructure to support common mission focused activities across all Radiology Divisions:
- Implement new technology to provide effective data mining of clinical case material to support clinical management, education, clinical research, safety and quality of care
- Support research: training, clinical trials support, grant management and research support staff
- Establish clinical support structure (e.g.: radiology assistants)
GOAL: Establish integrated continuous quality improvement program:
- Establish training in the methodology of continuous quality improvement
- Identify and validate quantitative measures for objective assessment of outcomes
- Communicate CQI results and best practices within and between divisions
- Penn State Hershey honored with two statewide achievement awards Penn State Hershey Medical Center is one of just nine hospitals statewide to be recognized through the Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania’s 2015 Achievement Awards program. The program is designed to honor hospitals and health systems for their innovation, creativity and commitment to patient care.More...
- Van Scoy named Fellow, will advance end of life planning research Dr. Lauren Van Scoy, assistant professor of medicine and humanities, has been named a Parker B. Francis Fellow. She will receive $156,000 over three years for her research project “Evaluating the impact of a conversation game on advance care planning activities.”More...
- Joint Commission and AHA recognize Penn State Hershey's Heart Failure Program Two national organizations have recognized the Heart Failure Program at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center for quality care.More...
- Homeland Security Program graduate put knowledge to use during marathon bombing When Charlotte Palmer Roy graduated from Penn State College of Medicine’s graduate program in homeland security in 2012, she had no idea her new found knowledge would be put to the ultimate test just one year later during the Boston Marathon bombing.More...