Penn State Hershey Radiology
The Department of Radiology occupies much of the ground floor, main hospital, and has imaging sites at 30 Hope Drive (CT, MRI and Breast Imaging) and 35 Hope Drive (Cherry Drive Outpatient Building for Ultrasound and Xray Imaging) on campus. Other imaging locations include the Penn State Health Groups sites at Fishburn Road, Hershey, Nyes Road, Harrisburg and in Camp Hill, PA. We have over 370 employees including 61 faculty and 30 Radiology residents. An all digital department, we provide immediate image availability at the point of patient care at all locations within the network.
The Department of Radiology provides interdependent clinical care, education and research to support the College of Medicine missions at Penn State.
Our missions include the provision of the highest quality image acquisition and interpretation services and image guided interventional and therapeutic services to patients receiving care at Penn State Hershey Medical Center and to all the people of central Pennsylvania.
Education of medical students, residents and fellows has long been the central focus of the department, occurring during clinical care, in the lecture hall and in the research laboratory.
The advancement of imaging science through basic, translational and clinical research is the third arm of our mission and, is the future of our profession.
Departmental Strategic Goals
GOAL: Establish mission based management at a Divisional level:
- Establish a forum for frequent inter-Divisional communication
- Integrate and incent research efforts at the Division level
- Promote faculty development and mentoring
- Develop and implement educational curricula focused on objective outcomes measures
- Actively participate in development of operational and capital equipment budgets
- Develop entrepreneurial endeavors that leverage divisional strengths and needs
GOAL: Provide an infrastructure to support common mission focused activities across all Radiology Divisions:
- Implement new technology to provide effective data mining of clinical case material to support clinical management, education, clinical research, safety and quality of care
- Support research: training, clinical trials support, grant management and research support staff
- Establish clinical support structure (e.g.: radiology assistants)
GOAL: Establish integrated continuous quality improvement program:
- Establish training in the methodology of continuous quality improvement
- Identify and validate quantitative measures for objective assessment of outcomes
- Communicate CQI results and best practices within and between divisions
- The art of medicine: Medical students learn communication from the masters Imagine trying to paint a copy of one of Vincent van Gogh’s or Claude Monet's works — without being able to look at it. Instead you can ask a partner short, close-ended questions and do your best. That was one of the challenges students faced as part of the class “Impressionism and the Art of Communication.” The monthlong class, which Dr. Michael Flanagan taught for the first time in January, gives Penn State College of Medicine students a chance to approach what they’re learning from a new direction.More...
- Valentine’s Day concert set for Feb. 14 at Pasquerilla Spiritual Center The Pennsylvania Centre Orchestra will present a special Valentine’s Day concert titled “Music for the Heart” at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 14, at the Pasquerilla Spiritual Center on Penn State’s University Park campus. Dr. Paul Haidet, director of medical education research at the Penn State College of Medicine will present a free pre-concert lecture — “The Health Benefits of Music” — one hour before the show.More...
- National Wear Red Day observed at Penn State Hershey On Friday, Feb. 5, Penn State Hershey faculty and staff donned red in recognition of National Wear Red Day.More...
- Penn State Harrisburg launches Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Penn State President Eric Barron and University officials joined with David Black, president and CEO of the Harrisburg Regional Chamber and CREDC, to launch the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Penn State Harrisburg. The center will enhance the entrepreneurial environment in Central Pennsylvania and encourage students, faculty and community members to transform their intellectual property and creative works into local businesses and industries.More...