Grand Rounds will resume in the fall.
Many of our divisions host annual lectures named in honor of a former faculty member. These lectures bring exceptional scientists to our campus providing opportunities for medical students, residents, fellows and faculty to interact with the speakers.
Ballantine Lecture List of Lecturers
The Ballantine Lecture was established in 1991 in memory of Thomas Van Ness Ballantine, M.D. Dr. Ballantine was Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics, Chief of the Division of Pediatric Surgery, and The Doctors Kienle Chair for Humane Medicine at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine. He was a nationally known and respected pediatric surgeon.
Dr. B., or Tad as he was affectionately known, was born in Washington, D.C., into a family with strong interests in medicine; his father was a surgeon and both grandfathers were physicians, as was his great-grandfather. He grew up in Boston, went to Princeton University where he graduated magna cum laude in 1963 with a B.A. degree in biology, and four years later graduated from Harvard Medical School.
After completing his general surgical residency at Boston City Hospital and the New England Deaconess Hospital, Dr. Ballantine became a pediatric surgical resident at the Boston Children's Hospital Medical Center, completing his training in 1975. On completion of service in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War, he joined the faculty of the James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children at the Indiana University Medical Center. He came to Penn State Hershey Medical Center in 1979.
Dr. Ballantine was a tireless worker, a consummate clinician, an eloquent advocate for children's health care needs, a superb teacher, and a good friend to all. He was devoted to his wife and two children, as well as to his parents. His loyalty, integrity, and compassion were hallmarks in his roles as son, husband, father, patriot, and surgeon.
Dr. Ballantine died in January 1990.
Conner Lecture List of Lecturers
The Conner lecture was established in honor of George H. Conner, M.D., Professor of Surgery and the first Chief of the Division of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery. Conner has been with the College of Medicine since 1973.
Dr. Conner earned his bachelor's degree from Lake Forest College in Illinois in 1953 and completed his medical education at the University of Illinois in Chicago in 1957. He then went on to complete an internship from 1957-1958 at St. Luke's Hospital also in Chicago before returning to the University of Illinois to complete a residency in Otolaryngology.
After completing his residency he worked in the Department of Surgery (Otolaryngology) at the University of Chicago from 1964-1967. He then took a position as Chief of the Department of Otolarynoglogy at Henry Ford Hospital and Director of the Otological Research Laboratory in Detroit, Michigan from 1967-1969. From 1969-1970 he held the position of the Adelot Professor of Otolaryngology and Otolaryngologist-in-Chief at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
Dr. Conner has belonged to various medical organizations including the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, the American College of Surgeons, Pennsylvania Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Society of Academic Chairmen of Otolaryngology, Society of University Otolaryngologists-Central Pennsylvania Chapter of American College of Surgeons, and the Association of American Departments of Otolaryngology.
In 1961 he received the Norvel Pierce Prize for Resident Research. He was the guest of honor in 1994 for the Pennsylvania Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and in 1996 for the Eastern Section of the Triological Society.
Conner currently resides in Lebanon with his wife, Betty.
Lape Lecture List of Lecturers
Dr. I. Samuel and Dorothy T. Lape created this Lectureship in the Department of Surgery in appreciation of the care they have received from their physicians at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.
Dr. Lape was a native of Lebanon, Pennsylvania born in 1930. He earned his undergraduate degree from Franklin & Marshall College in 1951 and received his medical degree from Jefferson Medical College in 1955. Dr. Lape served as a U.S. Navy battalion surgeon in the Third Marine Division, Korean War. He subsequently completed his residency training in obstetrics and gynecology at Episcopal Hospital in Philadelphia. Dr. Lape returned to Lebanon in 1962 to practice obstetrics and gynecology. He is a founding partner of the Women's Health Center of Lebanon.
Dorothy T. Lape was born and raised in Creston, Iowa. She graduated from the University of Iowa with a degree in elementary education in 1957. She moved to San Francisco and worked as a flight attendant for Trans World Airlines. While living in San Francisco she met and married Dr. Lape. In addition to her role of wife and mother, Mrs. Lape was an active community volunteer.
Dr. Lape died in July, 2009.
Trescher Lecture List of Lecturers
The Trescher Lecture was created by Marian Trescher Waldhausen in honor of her father, John H. Trescher.
John H. Trescher was born in Jeanette, Pennsylvania. After graduating from high school, he studied at The Pennsylvania State University for a year. The early death of his father forced him to leave college to support his family as a teacher. Later he returned to college at Cornell University to complete his undergraduate education and then to study medicine. He obtained his medical training at the Allegheny General Hospital and The John Hopkins Hospital where he then practiced and taught until his death in 1959.
Throughout his life he was an inspiration to all those who knew him both as a physician and as a humanitarian. He cared for his patients in a most wise and selfless manner. He so very much embodied the essence of a physician that many- rich and poor, from near and far-sought his help. He never failed to answer their call and to comfort them. Few are given the grace to do so much.
Marian Trescher Waldhausen was born in Camden, New Jersey, the daughter of Dr. John Henry and Eloise Rodney Trescher. She grew up in Baltimore, Maryland, where her father practiced Internal Medicine at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Marian attended Calvert School and Bryn Mawr School from which she graduated. She graduated from Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History in 1955.
Marian Waldhausen made significant contributions to the Department of Surgery and the College of Medicine. She was most instrumental in the recruitment of faculty, not only in the Department of Surgery, but in the entire Medical Center. She died in 2012.
Waldhausen Lecture List of Lecturers
John A. Waldhausen was born in New York City in 1929. His undergraduate degree was from the College of Great Falls, Montana; he received his M.D. degree from St. Louis University. Dr. Waldhausen's surgical education included training with Dr. Blalock at Hopkins, at the National Heart Institute of the NIH, with Dr. Rhoads at the University of Pennsylvania and with Dr. Shumacker at Indiana University. Following an initial faculty position at Indiana, Dr. Waldhausen was appointed Associate Professor of Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania in 1966.
In the fall of 1969 he was appointed the first and founding Chair of the Department of Surgery at the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, a position he held for 25 years. In 1972 he became Interim Dean of the College of Medicine and Provost of the Medical Center.
In 1993, Dr. Waldhausen was appointed Associate Dean and Director of Penn State University Physicians; in 1994 he assumed the additional responsibility of editorship of the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
Dr. Waldhausen served and received accolades from many significant organizations, including AOA, Director to the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery. He has had leadership roles in the American College of Surgeons, the American Surgical Association, the American Association for Thoracic Surgery (President), the American College of Cardiology, and the Society of Clinical Surgery (President). In 1994, he was inducted into the Society of Scholars of the Johns Hopkins University.
During his career, Dr. Waldhausen published over 200 manuscripts, almost 50 book chapters and was the senior editor of three books.
John and Marian were married in 1957; their three sons are grown, married and happily settled. He died in the spring of 2012.