Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
At Penn State Hershey, you'll find that our surgeons have advanced disease-specific training and are experts in their individualized fields. Because they practice at an academic medical center, they diagnose and treat some of the most complex cases around. Their experience speaks volumes.
Interested in meeting the surgeons behind the hands? Watch video interviews here with some of our surgeons.
Control for an Overactive Bladder
Dr. Vanessa Elliott used an implantable device called InterStim to treat patient Jennifer Pottle's urgency and frequency of urination - both of which she thought would never stop ruling her life. Read Jennifer's story and learn more about InterStim therapy. Watch a video featuring Dr. Elliott here.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Handprint ceremony at Children’s Hospital highlights $250,000 grant presentation The pediatric cancer research of Penn State Hershey’s Dr. Hong-Gang Wang has received a $250,000 grant from Hyundai Hope On Wheels. The funds will support his research into whether autophagy – the human cell’s self-cleansing mechanism – can be used to make cancer cells die.More...
- The Medical Minute: Research continues improving the odds for kids with cancer The American Cancer Society reports one in every 285 children younger than 20 will be diagnosed with cancer. That makes childhood cancer relatively rare. Still, nearly 16,000 new cases were anticipated for 2014 resulting in 1,900 to 2,000 deaths. And for most parents, it’s a worst-case scenario. Through research, the outlook for children with cancer is far better today than it’s ever been, yet much more remains to be done.More...
- New online farmers market available for Penn State Hershey employees The Farmers Market in Hershey is partnering with Healthy Living Kitchen to enable Medical Center and College of Medicine employees to purchase market products online and pick them up more conveniently on campus.More...
- Miracle Marathon to kick off on Sept. 16 The Miracle Marathon wellness challenge will take place from Sept. 16 through Oct. 12. Participants move at their own pace and on their own time -- just one mile every day for 27 days, with proceeds from the event to benefit Children’s Miracle Network at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital.More...