Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
Smart Talk: Colorectal Cancer Awareness -- it can be prevented
As part of Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, Dr. Ray Hohl, director of Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute, and Dr. Walter Koltun, chief of the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, discussed on WITF-FM's Smart Talk the causes, risk factors, and symptoms of colorectal cancer, treatment options, and what we're learning about this disease. Listen here.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Parent named vice dean for research and graduate studies Dr. Leslie Parent, chief of Penn State College of Medicine’s Division of Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology, has been named vice dean for research and graduate studies for the College of Medicine and Medical Center, and associate vice president for research at Penn State University.More...
- The Medical Minute: How to know whether ice or heat will ease the pain To ice or not to ice -- that is the question. Or maybe the real issue is to heat or not to heat? Either way, whether you’re dealing with a one-time injury or chronic aches and pains, a few simple guidelines will help you know whether it’s best to bag some ice or get the trusty heating pad. Dr. Scott Lynch, director of sports medicine at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, says it’s all about blood flow. When you injure yourself, you should follow a prescription known as RICE – rest, ice, compression and elevation.More...
- Dress for Success honors Kathy Law with Partner in Success Award Dress for Success South Central PA, a program of Suits to Careers Inc., recently awarded its Partner in Success Award to Kathy Law, director of nursing periop services at Penn State Hershey Medical Center.More...
- Conquer Run 5-K at Hersheypark to benefit Four Diamonds Conquer Run 5-K, a competitive run and fun walk through Hersheypark that benefits Four Diamonds, is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 3. Discounted registration opens May 1.More...