Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
Best Doctors 2013
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Prominent oncologist to take leadership role in State College Dr. Edward Balaban has accepted an appointment as medical director of Cancer Care Partnership, a partnership of Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute and Mount Nittany Health, in State College, effective Aug. 1.More...
- Pediatrician joins Network on Child Protection and Well-Being Kent Hymel says that joining Penn State’s Network on Child Protection and Well-Being will enable him to fulfill professional goals that he cannot achieve anywhere else. The resources and collaborative opportunities with the University’s child maltreatment experts were too good to pass up.More...
- Sporting Clays event raises $68,000 for CMN The 18th annual Sporting Clays Charity Event raised more than $68,000 for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital.More...
- Superhero Dash for Diabetes planned for April 12 It's time for the 10th annual Dash for Diabetes 5K run/1 mile walk hosted by the Family Medicine Interest Group of Penn State College of Medicine. This year's event honors a "decade of dashing" with a superhero-themed race to be held at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 12, on the East Health campus at Penn State Hershey.More...