Penn State Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radio-guided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, MD
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Screening and awareness contribute to fewer prostate cancer deaths
Fewer men are being diagnosed with and dying from prostate cancer these days. While that is due in part to widespread awareness and better treatment, it is also the result of more judicious screening. Learn more here from urologist Jay Raman, M.D.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory (PDF) containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory (PDF), also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- The Medical Minute: Toy safety tips for the holidays – and year-round Pretty much all toys can look inviting to children. But it’s important for adults who are buying toys this holiday season to look beyond the flashing lights and cool noises and make sure they are safe.More...
- Mets named officer to international anesthesiology board Dr. Berend Mets, chair of the Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, has been appointed to a four-year term as an officer to the board of the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists.More...
- Giant Food Stores and Duracell host party for Children's Hospital patients Face painting, games and costumed characters were part of a party for patients and their families at Penn State Children’s Hospital, hosted by Giant Foods Stores and Duracell. The Nov. 28 event in the hospital’s Tree House Café was a celebration of Giant and Duracell’s partnership with the Children’s Hospital through Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.More...
- Medical Center again recognized with Consumer Choice Award Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center has earned a Consumer Choice Award from the National Research Corporation for the 17th consecutive year. The award identifies the hospitals that health care consumers have chosen as having the highest quality and image in markets throughout the U.S. in National Research’s annual market insights survey of more than 300,000 households.More...