Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
At Penn State Hershey, you'll find that our surgeons have advanced disease-specific training and are experts in their individualized fields. Because they practice at an academic medical center, they diagnose and treat some of the most complex cases around. Their experience speaks volumes.
Interested in meeting the surgeons behind the hands? Watch video interviews here with some of our surgeons.
Control for an Overactive Bladder
Dr. Vanessa Elliott used an implantable device called InterStim to treat patient Jennifer Pottle's urgency and frequency of urination - both of which she thought would never stop ruling her life. Read Jennifer's story and learn more about InterStim therapy. Watch a video featuring Dr. Elliott here.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Screening questions fail to identify teens at risk for hearing loss Subjective screening questions do not reliably identify teenagers who are at risk for hearing loss, according to researchers at Penn State College of Medicine. The results suggest that objective hearing tests should be refined for this age group to replace screening questions.More...
- The Medical Minute: Enterovirus D68 expected to fade away into winter Late every summer and into every fall, enteroviruses bring a host of unpleasant ailments. This year, Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) has been making headlines for its potentially severe symptoms in children, causing some alarm among parents.More...
- Mets earns top educator honors with SEA/Duke Award Dr. Berend Mets, Eric A. Walker Professor and chairman of anesthesiology at Penn State Hershey, has earned top educator honors by receiving the Society for Education in Anesthesia SEA/Duke Award.More...
- Drop Your Drawers celebrates life-changing weight loss Penn State Hershey Surgical Weight Loss held its annual Fall Social and Drop Your Drawers event Oct. 16. Patients and guests enjoyed an evening celebrating the life-changing outcomes that surgical weight loss procedures can help to facilitate.More...