Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
Women: Here's to your Health to air on abc27 Thursday, October 23
Take time to take care of your health. abc27 is teaming up with Penn State Hershey Medical Center to discuss comprehensive women's health issues. Watch Women: Here's to Your Health on abc27 on Thursday, October 23 at 7:30 p.m. This show is for women of all ages featuring Penn State Hershey specialists and women from our community. Call and talk one-on-one with specialists on our panel during this live call-in show.
- Learn how a small device - similar to a heart pacemaker - relieved a Camp Hill woman's overactive bladder.
- Learn how surgery to remove excess bowel helped a Lancaster County woman return to the pool.
- Hear two breast cancer survivors talk about life after diagnosis, survivorship and everything in between.
- Meet Dr. Kristine Widders, Penn State Hershey's newest breast surgeon.
Click here to submit questions for our team and be sure to watch on Thursday, October 23 at 7:30 to hear the answers.
At Penn State Hershey, you'll find that our surgeons have advanced disease-specific training and are experts in their individualized fields. Because they practice at an academic medical center, they diagnose and treat some of the most complex cases around. Their experience speaks volumes.
Interested in meeting the surgeons behind the hands? Watch video interviews here with some of our surgeons.
Control for an Overactive Bladder
Dr. Vanessa Elliott used an implantable device called InterStim to treat patient Jennifer Pottle's urgency and frequency of urination - both of which she thought would never stop ruling her life. Read Jennifer's story and learn more about InterStim therapy. Watch a video featuring Dr. Elliott here.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- The Medical Minute: Simple steps can lead to safe sleep for infants The number of infants who die each year from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) has decreased in recent decades as awareness of safe sleeping habits has increased. Yet each year, babies still die from sudden, unexplained causes.More...
- Tickets on sale for Children's Miracle Ball on Nov. 22 The 25th annual Miracle Ball will be held Saturday, Nov. 22, at the Hershey Lodge. The ball begins at 6 p.m. with a reception and silent auction followed by dinner, dancing and entertainment provided by Honey Pump.More...
- Tickets available for Neiman Marcus Fashion Show on Dec. 5 at Hotel Hershey Children's Miracle Network's annual Neiman Marcus Fashion Show returns Dec. 5 to the Hotel Hershey. This elegant runway show and luncheon benefits the children and families of Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital.More...
- Comics in illness the topic of the next First Fridays Lecture The Department of Humanities at Penn State College of Medicine will welcome Katie Green to the November First Fridays Lecture, “SHOW AND TELL: The Power of Comics in Illness,” at noon Nov. 7 in Room C2860.More...