Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
Screening and awareness contribute to fewer prostate cancer deaths
Fewer men are being diagnosed with and dying from prostate cancer these days. While that is due in part to widespread awareness and better treatment, it is also the result of more judicious screening. Learn more here from urologist Jay Raman, M.D.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- The Medical Minute: When duodenal switch may be the best weight loss option A less-common form of bariatric surgery can help the heaviest patients reach an ideal weight, but it’s not for everyone.More...
- Founder and president of VaxForm spoke at HCAR on Oct. 1 Garry Morefield, founder and president of Vaxform, LLC, spoke at noon on Thursday, Oct.1, at the Hershey Center for Applied Research, as part of the Entrepreneur’s Roundtable. Morefield will share his experience establishing a start-up company.More...
- Day of Caring kicks off United Way campaign at Penn State Hershey The 23rd annual Day of Caring was held on Sept. 11, with 17 Penn State Hershey employees joining nearly 1,600 volunteers representing more than 76 companies. This event officially kicked off the 2015 United Way campaign.More...
- Weight loss and exercise can improve fertility for polycystic ovary patients Weight loss and exercise improve ovulation in women who have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, a common hormone disorder that often causes infertility, according to research by a team including Penn State Hershey’s Dr. Richard Legro.More...