Volunteers are an integral component of the Child Life program of Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. They assist the Child Life Specialists by providing age-appropriate recreational activities to hospitalized children and teens. Many of our pediatric patients are facing life threatening illnesses and critical situations. Often these children spend a lot of time in the hospital. Because of this, consistent caregivers are an essential part of treatment. The following guidelines have been established to ensure our commitment:
- Volunteers must commit to at least 6 months or 1 semester of college. Many of our volunteers choose to stay much longer!
- Volunteers must be able to commit to the same day and time period each week.
Volunteer opportunities in Child Life:
- Monday through Friday: 8:30am to 12:00noon, 1:00pm to 4:00pm, and 6:00pm to 9:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 8:30am to 12:00noon and 1:00pm to 4:00pm
- Outpatient Specialty Area
If you are interested and able to commit to the above guidelines, please submit our volunteer application. Additional information will be required after orientation.
An orientation is mandatory.
Please contact us by calling 717-531-8278 or 717-531-6310 at the Volunteer Office for more information.
Two interviews will be scheduled after the orientation. The first interview will be with the Manager of Volunteer Services and the second interview will be with one of our Child Life Specialists. This is a very popular volunteer assignment and positions are not always available. Please understand that our priority must always be the needs of our pediatric patients.
Our summer Teen Volunteer Program is currently full and we will no longer be accepting any further applications.
Please note that when you submit your application, a Health Screening form will appear for you to print out. Please do not fill out duplicate applications for any reason. Call our office if you need to make any changes. The Teen Volunteer application will close down when we reach 110 teens.
Orientation for 2016 will be held Monday, April 25, 2016 at 6:00pm in the Hospital Auditorium.
- Free TB testing through the HMC Employee Health Department will be available on April 25 from 5:00 - 6:00 pm (before orientation). You may also choose to have TB testing by your family physician at your expense.
- Our program consists of an eight-week commitment during the summer only.
- Each teen will be scheduled for one four-hour shift per week on a weekday (Monday - Friday only).
- Our program does not include volunteering during the school year.
- Teens must be 14 years old or older before the program starts in June to participate in our program.
- An interview for acceptance and placement will be scheduled after orientation. A parent or legal guardian must be present to sign documentation of understanding and consent.
- If you are a RETURNING TEEN you do not have to attend orientation, but TB testing is mandatory.
- Please contact the Volunteer Office at 717-531-8278 or 717-531-6310 between February 29 and March 25 to let us know you are returning. When you call, we need to know what day/time you prefer and what service.
- DO NOT SUBMIT A NEW APPLICATION. Thank you!